Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: how much is too much chocolate

LMAO i love this thread! And I want choc now!! I'm relieved to hear of plenty of chocoholics who didn't seem to have any trouble. I went off choc in my first tri (amazing I know!!!) but now, back on it with bells on, and happily, I like dark choc best. And hot chocolate. Mmm *drools*

Is there ever such a thing as too much chocolate???? I can easily polish off a whole packet of tim tams or gaiety's in one sitting, especially when nothing else comes close to being appetising. A biggie the last few weeks have been those tubs of club dark chocolate mousse desert things! They should make them in a 1kg tub, I reckon!

And someone mentioned antioxidants - they now reckon COFFEE contains them as well ....

Just thought I'd put in something against chocolate!!! (sorry).
    Having an allergic child (to nuts) we've been told chocolate is a huge danger as it is the most cross contaminated food out there, as they use the same machine for nuts. I know this won't affect most people, but I am really wondering lately whether the choc (and thai) I ate has something to do with it whilst I was pregnant. In the third trimester, is when you can pass allergies on by eating too much of one thing, and I have been thinking about it alot lately. Put it this way, I will not be eating much chocolate at all during the next pregnancy.....BUMMER.
    So just for anyone who may have allergies in the fam, something to consider. xoxo
    PS just remembered coles and woollies now sell chocolate made in nut free factories. WEE HEE!!!!

chocolate also contains caffine so it you look at it from that point of view- your allowed 300mg of caffine a day while pregnant

instant coffee has 80mg
    hot chocolate has 10mg
    can of coke has 40mg
    30g milk chocolate has 5mg
    3og dark chcolate has 20mg

mmmm.... another choc fan here too

Since being pregnant though I can't stomach it!! I can only have a small amount here and there.... I look forward to being able to have it again once this sickness goes!

Man, I had a massive chocolate addiction in my third tri with DS2! I couldn't stop eating those Aldi Titans (just like a Mars Bar), I would shove the wrappers down the back of the couch cushions when DH would walk in LOL! I ended up with a pretty big bub, he was 4.03kg (yes there are bigger babies!) and he had lots of fat rolls! I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the chocolate though, he is still a big boy now at 7 months. I felt really guilty when he came out though!

As long as it goes in stays down and doesn't attempt to come back up, then eat it! I'm eating a crunchie bar everyday at the moment, can't seem to get enough of them, funny thing is I don't really like crunchie bars!
    Snoopea

LOL at all you chocoholics. I must say when I read this thread I just had to come on, and make me feel not alone with my choccie addiction. Yet for some reason I havent been into choccie as much with this pregnancy. Yet guess what I bought today......

I bought to jars of Cadbury chocolate almonds, ohhh yummmmm. It is a wonder I havent demolished the whole 2 jars yet, whcih I probably would have before I fell pg, so what is holding me back? Who knows but i will definately be scoffing into them with a nice hot cuppa tonight when the kids are in bed and I can put my feet up and enjoy......

Satya - Had to lol, about having a baby elephant. Not long now and you will know for sure. hehehe

Belfie - No exactly how you felt with your first trimester, unfortunately still waiting for it to kick back into full gear for me. Yet you know what has got me over the past couple of days, "fruca chews" bought them from woolies certainly not choccie but hey, they are so yum and I am not even a lolly eater, have told myself not to purchase them again, as I would be overloading myself with sugar... and we know what happens then, dont we.

Pam - Had to LOL about your new undies not fitting... I wonder why, you have 2 very good reasons. hehehe

Ren - Your choccie addiction might come back with full force once you hit your second trimester, GL with that. hehehe

Trish - Funny you mention that, I think I created chocoholics with my kids from all the choccy I would eat when pg with them, they cant seem to get enough of them. Had bought a box of choccies one year for a neighbour for chrissy, and my DS2 was only about 4 then and he found the choccies and hid outside eating them all. Also milo, they all would grab the milo tin and just eat spoon after spoon of milo, one day had it all over the floor. So many other times but too many to write down here. lol. I think it is only my oldest that isnt too fussed on choccie, takes after DH with that.

I would like to know how to stop eating chicken.... I am so sick of it yet, it is the only thing I prefer eating. How sad is that....
    Last edited by csab; June 11th, 2008 at 02:15 PM.

I went off choc in first tri but when ms left ~ 26wks, I was back onto it. I am watching a little closely now though I just had to have some dark club choc while reading this. Another thing I have had to watch and I love is the soft drink. I drank lots of ginger beer and lemonade while ms, I could only stomach that as fluids, and now after still look for it

Rose - yeah i am shocking for my softdrinks, i have been having loads of ginger ale and ginger beer as it's the only thing that calms my nausea (temporarily!!!) and i drink it flat. I try to sip only small amounts so i'm not going to put on too much weight or get GD!!!! eeeeek!!!

Forgot to add one detail about chocolate and pre-eclampsia.

A friend of mine normally ate chocolate pretty much every day before becoming pregnant but couldn't stomach it during her pregnancy so went completely off it. She got pre-eclampsia and got enduced a couple of days later (a few weeks early). We now both wonder if she could've avoided it by eating her usual dose of chocolate.

I'm loving these postings - as I also have now started onto the Crunchie Bars!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by juleswa View Post
    I'm loving these postings - as I also have now started onto the Crunchie Bars!!!!
    I went onto the crunchie bars today too... I hope I dont eat too many they're so easy to eat LOL

and to think i thought i was the only one! i went thru 3 family sized blocks over 2 weeks! (i did share)

It took 2 weeks?? Hun you aren't trying hard enough LOL

heheheee, I downed 1 large dark club choc last night, dh help me. And he did open it!!!

I ate choccy with all my pregnancies and all was fine, I think gestational diabetes is something just to keep in mind though,we can never be to careful...enjoy!
    Last edited by mummy of many; June 14th, 2008 at 11:14 AM.

Default How much is too much?.....

The honest answer to this question is...... When it starts repeating on you!!!!!

Chocolate tastes best when it goes down and stays down. When it gives you heartburn....followed by reflux.... then you know you have had too much!!

Then again, you could be like me and push right on through the pain just so that you can say that you finished the King Sized Mars bar and the Chocolate Pudding by Sara Lee, washed down with a chocolate Big M and some double choc chip cookies...

Of course the fact that you then have to eat half a packet of quick eaze to get rid of the pain is something you might want to ommit from memory!

As far as wether it is good/bad or otherwise in pregnancy, I think that the old adage of "everything in moderation" might ring true.... But I have always liked pushing boundaries.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast