Thread: I cant breathe ...

Default I cant breathe ...

I am 35+4 wks pregnant... and my lungs must are so squished up... I struggle to breathe sometimes. Then when I cant breathe I get lightheaded and struggle to do anything. Sometimes bubs must move cause it gets better, but right now I need some help please....

I mentioned this to my Ob, and then proceeded to almost pass out in his office. He says I have postural hypotension so I have been very careful with changing positions, and he started me on iron tablets to see if they help, and 3L of water per day for hydration. Bubs was head down and lying off to my left side (looking out over my right hip) at my last appt. My Ob said he was in my pelvis but not engaged, and didnt think he would "flip out of there"... (and I cant read his writing on my yellow card...)

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for positions for me to get into to help fill my lungs with air? I am still working atm and sit at a desk for most of the day. I have been sitting on a fit ball, but this doesnt help with breathing...

TIA!!!!!

rufalina,

You sound so uncomfortable I have had a few times where i cant breathe properly, but its usually because i'm laying on my back (my baby is posterior atm, hoping he moves). I'm not sure on positions to help fill lungs with air sorry, but hopefully someone will come in and help you soon. Good Luck !!!

Lea x

I've been having this problem lately though it doesn't sound as bad as you

There are quite a few yoga positions that help open up the chest which I have found really helpful... If you like I can scan the pages and email them to you? Or else you could try google.

I know when I've been short of breath playing sport, or for singing (I don't sing and play sport at the same time though :P much.) I've been told to move my shoulders forward rather than holding them back. That might create a little more space for your lungs. So maybe leaning forward a little and moving your shoulders forward?

Sorry, last bub engaged at something ridiculous like 29 weeks, so I haven't been in your situation for awhile. Hope you find something that works though!

Hi Rufalina,

You poor dear I know what your going through - think we're due about the same time! I also often struggle to breath, I get relief if i get down on a fours and stretch my arms out in front of me, then take a few deep breaths.

When are you finishing work? Sitting at a desk just aggrivated it for me...

Did the doctor say you will get relief when bubs head engages and moves down? Not sure if theres anything you can do to encourage that?

I keep hoping bubs will move down too, but that will probably bring a new range of issues ...

Kristin - I have tried that cat stretch, but with the low BP I get headspins when I get up... so have to be careful with it. I am only here at work for 2 1/2 days for the next two weeks... Will just have to get up and walk more I think.

Leasha - that would be great if you could... I will PM you.

Nelle - I will try that next time it gets bad. Thanks!!!