Thread: Itching all over

Default Itching all over

The last couple of days I have been really itchy all over, especially my legs and back and arms.... This morning it nearly drove me crazy, a cold shower didn't help.

Just wondering if anybody else had this and everything has been normal? Should I be seeing a doctor to check for cholestasis or am I just being a hypochondriac again...

Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jja View Post
    The last couple of days I have been really itchy all over, especially my legs and back and arms.... This morning it nearly drove me crazy, a cold shower didn't help.

Just wondering if anybody else had this and everything has been normal? Should I be seeing a doctor to check for cholestasis or am I just being a hypochondriac again...

Thanks!!!
    You should have it checked out, i had a similar thing and it did drive me mad, i went to my anti natal clinic and they said that there are various different things it could have been, including a couple of nasty ones that can affect the liver. at the very least they will prescribe antihistamines to help you out, or you can do what i did, aloe vera straight from the plant...... fab!!

Taz

Definitely check it out. Better to be safe than sorry. And you're not a hypochondriac

Melinda Guest

Absolutely get it checked out as it could be obstetric cholestasis, which disappears when the baby is born.

I was actually told that I had it as it started with me around 34w or something like that, but unfortunately it's still here for me (and Ruby is 2.5 months old!) - so definitely NOT OC! LOL But I do sympathise with how severe it is - it drives me insane!

Your OB or doctor may recommend over-the-counter antihistamines (e.g. Claratyne) to help give you some relief, but in the meantime, try cold compresses, cold showers (I know you've already done that though!) and dressing lightly overnight (I found it was awful during the night - still is). Unfortunately if it is OC, as I said, it won't be until your little one is born that it will go away......

Good luck!

Well I went to my GP today (shared care) and she thought it best I get it checked out with a blood test, so I ended up at the hospital for that, being a Saturday. The results were ok, and there is another bile test that is more accurate they are going to do tomorrow morning before I have eaten. Hopefully its all ok.

My GP seemed to think baby was engaged (I'm 35w 5d), but she only felt my belly when I was lying down, I thought it sort of disengaged when you lay down, and you had to get up on your elbows for it to slide in and engage?

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

goodluck my babies were delivered at 35wks4days because I had OC - it does go away right after birth if that is what it is.

I'm glad you got checked out - someone we know had this very recently. Good luck with tomorrow's test.

Well this morn I had the bile salt test before eating breakfast but it takes a week to get a result. In the meantime they did another liver function test and said it was the same as yesterday - a bit higher than normal!? Yesterday a different doctor said it was ok. Apparently my levels are 60 when normal is up to 50 so its only slightly elevated. So they're going to keep a closer eye on me and do another liver function test on Tuesday to see if its going up.

Cool Being induced!

Today I got the result of the bile salt/acid test from last Sunday. My levels were 10 when 6 was the upper limit of normal. I had another LFT blood test today and that came back same as last time (slightly elevated) so at least that is not getting worse.

I'm didn't quite gather what the OB thought but my understanding is they don't think I actually *have* cholestasis (the levels may need to be higher to officially diagnose it) but they are worried that I will develop it. So I'm being induced next Thursday(!!) at 38w 3d? :eek: [Shivering] That's the first they could get me in.

Will be a bit stressed between now and then about anything going wrong in the meantime. Been reading studies about cholestasis and its much riskier from 37 weeks onwards.

Melinda Guest

Hi jja,

Here are a couple of links to other threads that you may be interested in:

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...ic+cholestasis

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...ic+cholestasis

According to my OB, OC doesn't start to increase risks etc until 40+w for singletons.....

In any event, good luck and I hope you find some relief in the meantime.

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

JJA - goodluck with a date in sight - if you are worried at anytime that baby has reducing movements go to hospital or call your Ob or MW.

They are obviosuly keeping an eye on you but keep them on their toes too if the itching gets too much.Mine drove me crazy.