Thread: Labour Classes

Lorin Guest

Default Labour Classes

I am going to be atatending labour classes in September, and want to know what each class consist of. I have to go every tuesday for 4 weeks, and would like to know what happens in each class???
    Can some body tell me

skyelar Guest

Hi Lorin,
    When we did our classes with my first pregnancy we went for 6 weeks I think every Tuesday night.
    It covered a few different things each week, like....
    * stages of labour
    * how to recognise you are in labour
    * options available to you during labour
    * breastfeeding info
    * advice for support people
    * before & after care of Mum
    * bathing a baby
    * the placenta...yep they had one there!!
    * birth video
    * tour of maternity ward

Enjoy your classes!

Lorin Guest

Thank you for y only repsonce, i guess my ones might be a little different to yours seeing that i only have to go 4 times. But i guess i will just wait and see.
    But thanks for your repsonce, much appreciated

My classes were also quite similar plus we had a physio class to show us exercises to do while preg and then worked with us on labour positions and using those fit balls. I think most classes would be pretty similar but have some variations.

I went to a crash course one day seminar last time, it was basically about the biology of birthing a baby & pain relief options,active labour, and there was a discussion on breastfeeding & DVD. There was a hospital tour as well. I went to an antenatal physio class the hospital offered as well which was great for positions, breathing & relaxing muscles.

angelfish Guest

I think they vary a bit depending on where you go and how much time is involved. Hopefully at the firt one they'll give you an overview of what's going to be covered. You should also get the opportunity to ask questions and cover anything you think has been missed.

This time I won't be doing the classes at the hospital but having hypnobirthing classes instead. I guess because its the same hospital anyway & all our appointments are there with the midwives so if I have any questions I can deal with them then.