Thread: Ladies! Take your vitamins and have your blood tests!

Default Ladies! Take your vitamins and have your blood tests!

Just a reminder to have all your scheduled blood tests during pregnancy and to take your vitamins!

I stopped my vitamins (Blackmores) when the jar ran out (maybe around 20 weeks?) and because my first blood test had come back fantastically (12 week one?) I didn't take my last blood test (28 week one). Silly silly! I have been quite sick and veerrrrrry tired lately so asked for a blood test last week and ooooeeeer my iron levels are...........3!!! At my 12 week test they were at 50 so we all assumed they'd be just as good but no! My diet hasn't changed so I assume it's a vitamin thing?

Just thought I'd share as a warning to others!

Also - does anyone know how long it takes to build up iron stores? I'm on iron tablets now which should help...

Cat I hope you're feeling better soon! I think it doesn't take long for iron stores to build up if you're on iron tablets. I think it was about 3 weeks I had to take them after my iron levels were low after PPH when I had Angus.

awwww cat hope your feeling better soon

Oh dear, will def remember, thanks for the heads up and i hope you feel better soon.

yep, my iron stores deplete quickly too during pg. I had fine results early on but at my last blood test they were getting really low. And I was still taking my vitamins! I'm on iron now, and they are still a little low, but nothing to worry about too much. It take a while for my stores to build back up. I was on iron for a yr after PPH. And for 6mths after giving birth. I think it depends on your own make up. I hope you're feeling better soon! There's nothing worse than the tiredness of low iron stores!

Aw thanks ladies. Wasn't meant to be a pity-me post! Feeling greeeat today though (psychologically anyway!) as I can put my finger on the tiredness. And for at least another week I can get Mitch to do all the stuff I don't want to as I have low stores! He can't argue with that!

I guess it was wrong to subsitute my vitamins for fruit tingles! Hehe.

ETA: Jols! Congrats on Puggles!!!!

Wow, thanks for the info. I hope you feel better soon.

SugarDust Guest

Hope you are better CAT

I have never taken vit tabs when I have been preggers! I have a follow up appointment with my doc in a few weeks so i will taalk to here then!

Cat, are you a big tea or coffee drinker ?? The tanin in it can reduce the absorption of iron by up to 80%. Also make sure you up your vitamin c, that will help with the iron absorption too.

I have never taken preg vitamins. Not great I know. But I do make sure that I have a healthy diet when pregnant.

Hope you feel better soon

thats all very interesting, good thing i got some new tablets yesterday.. otherwise id still be taking just folate (only preggy suplements i had left at the time) but ive been a beef only girl, some reason cant stomache eating any other meat.. weird.. thanks for sharing appreciate it!

~Belinda~ Guest

Cat, I hope you feel better soon

Yikes Cat, that IS low. If you find that the tablets create a bit of a traffic jam, you can get liquid iron from pharmacies too. Just thought I'd let you know, cos iron tablets have got a bit of a rep for that. Or take your tablets with pear juice or something maybe.

Hope your energy picks up soon mate.

hope you're feeling better soon hun!

My iron levels have been high throughout the pregnancy... I have been told to take a mixture of tablets instead of the multi vitamins specifically for pregnancy and breastfeeding as my iron is TOO HIGH!!

Wierd huh!!

oh and im having weekly blood tests now.. so im sure they will pick up a decrease if it happens

Hi,

Yes, you are absolutely right!!

Though i HAVE been taking my vitamins and my iron levels came back low.

It is vital you build your iron stores back up again asap. I was booked in for an iron infusion 5 days after my blood test revealed low iron levels (cant take oral iron). 3 days before my infusion i got very sick. I started vomitting blood and because my iron levels were low i ended up needing a blood transfusion.

So definately try to keep your iron levels at a good level.

I hope your levels are back to normal soon and you feel better

Default it just goes to show...

Poor chocolatecatty!

Early on my 13 week bloods said I had high iron 174!!! My obs told me to keep taking the blackmores pregnancy, and unfortunately I have been suffering some constipation, but getting over it. My last lot of bloods at 28 weeks came back, and my iron had dropped to 73 - so it dropped by 100. I am not eating any different, but I had kept my tablets up, so it just goes to show how much iron the little bubbas take from us. I read somewhere that around 30 weeks they absorb a lot of iron from us and store it in their kidneys, as for the first 6 weeks after they are born, apparently they don't absorb iron, so they store it now. Amazing, isn't it!
    So yes you are right, it is important to keep taking your tablets - even though its a pain sometimes!
    I'm having my bloods done again in 2 weeks, so it will be interesting to see if they've dropped again or remained the same.
    I hope you get yours up asap chocolatecatty. A tip for helping absorb iron, is drink a glass of orange juice about 15 mins before a meal. The vitamin C in juice is more easily absorbed into the blood than a tablet, and vitamin C helps your body absorb iron from food. Good luck!