Thread: Leg Cramps

jojozep Guest

Default Leg Cramps

For the past week or so I've been waking up in the middle of the night with horrible leg cramps - mostly in my left leg. Anyone have an idea of what may be causing this? Or how I can stop it from happening??

ms_fluffy Guest

My midwife prescribed calcium supplements, which helped heaps.

I was having the same problem as you from about 20 weeks. It's so painful and a very distressing way to wake up.

My Ob told me to drink a small glass of Indian Tonic water each day and this has worked for me...mind you, it's not the nicest drink in the world!! I recommend a dash of red or green cordial (something with strong flavour!) mixed in to help it go down.

Hope this works for you. It was my saviour...and still is!!

Good luck!

I also had a few leg cramps which were horrible. Since I have been taking calcium and magnesium supplements recommended to me by my doctor I haven't had any cramps. Might be worth a try!

Yep, Blackmore's magnesium tablets helped me too. I'd also heard that calcium and potassium figured heavily in the problem (hence Shannon's banana remedy).

Increasing my intake of all the above has really helped. Hope you find something that works soon.

I've got leg cramps all my life, not so much in the last couple of years, but this pregnancy they've come back with a vengance. Once I started taking my multi-vitamins, the cramps stopped (I wasn't taking them before because they made me sick). As someone else has said, there's apparently a few different things you could be deficient in...magnesium, potassium, calcium. That's why I went for a multi - at least you're increasing your dose of all possible suspects.

Hope you can find what's causing them and they stop soon for you.

Bel

Hi Jojo

I completely empathise, from about 20 weeks I started getting leg cramps as well. I saw my ob after getting them for about a week and he recommended Blackmores Bio-Magnesium (also has some calcium and other stuff in it). He told me nobody really knows what causes cramps, although in pg it's probably due to your body using up minerals for the baby and you missing out. He said it's likely to be a few things, magnesium, calcium and potassium the main culprits, but taking extra magnesium seems to help the absorption of the other two.

Within a day of taking the supplement the cramps had eased and within two days they stopped completely. I could have kissed him! I think I've had two night-time cramps in the three months since. So whatever is in them, they worked for me!!

Hope your legs feel better soon...

jojozep Guest

Thanks everyone

OK so far I am trying a banana and milk before bed, and have started the multis and magnesium (after checking with the doc)
    Heres hoping, will let you know!

Jo

Hi Jojo

I really hope you find something to help you.

I didn't have a lot of cramps while pregnant, but did end up with calf and hamstring cramps during labour, so can totally sympathise.

I'm sure you'll find something that works for you.

suse Guest

Pregnancy leg cramps are the worst! I have had them in both my pregnancies and they really are a different breed from your normal leg cramp. (ie MUCH worse. I remember thinking during my first pregnancy that they were good practice for coping with labour and in fact they were as even the pain of transition wasn't as intense as some of the cramps I'd had during pregnancy). At my last visit to the Ob (I'm now 34 weeks) I asked him about the cause and possible remedies. He said they were probably due to poor circulation in the legs. He also said certain mineral deficiencies may have something to do with it although research had failed to support this theory.
    For myself I have definitely noticed that I'll pretty reliably have a night of leg cramps after a busy day at work (my job involves me being on my feet most of the day). This makes sense because muscle fatigue is characterised by a build up of lactic acid which is one of the causes of cramps in athletes.
    My Ob suggested I see a reflexologist as he'd read of a study reporting its usefullness in preventing (non-pregnant) cramps. He was thinking of setting up a study looking at whether this also helped for pregnancy leg cramps. I can't report whether it has worked for me as since seeing him (when I was getting them several times a night, every night) I have actually only had a few. It may be because, as I'm getting further along in the pregnancy, I sitting down at EVERY opportunity- and work hasn't been so hectic.
    Good luck finding something that helps.