Thread: ligament stretching pain?

annef6722 Guest

Default ligament stretching pain?

hey girls
    i don't belong in this forum yet, but wanted some advice from you girls, about something i experience in trimester 3, in my first pregnancy.
    From 6months on, i occasionally had a severe pain in my belly/uterus(?). the only explanation that seemed to fit, was that it was the round ligament, stretching, as my uterus got higher up. apparently, walking up stairs or hills could bring the pain on.
    the fear of getting the pain made me give up work at 7 months, as i didn't know how i'd cope (as a bank teller), if i suddenly got the pain, and had to drop to the floor, or whatever, to try and cope with the pain.
    has anyone else experienced this? at the time it sort of felt like the baby was swinging from my interal organs. it wasn't like a cramp or anything.
    i now work in a two storey building, and have to go downstairs to use the toilet. i'm wondering if, because i'll be used to going up and downstairs several times a day, will my body/ligament get used to this?
    any advice would be greatly appreciated, as i don't want to have to give up work any earlier than i have to. other women i know haven't experienced this type of pain.
    thanks for reading

Hi Anne,

I have exactly what you are talking about... I actually just spent 2 hours at the hospital today as i had the severe pain and wasnt sure what was going on.. Its all muscular and they said you can get bruised on the inside from the pressure on your muscles to stretch... I am finishing work next week as I work with 2 year olds and it is too demanding... Plus I have sooo many aches and pains at the end of the day.. Apparently also being a small person dosnt help??? Hope you dont get it with this pregnancy!!!!!

baby4 Guest

HI THERE I HAVE BEEN TOSSING AND TURNNG ALL NIGHT EVERY NIGHT WITH MY HIPS AND LEGS ACHING ITS BAD ENOUGH TO MAKE YOU CRY

Yep - I have this too at the moment. I spent a morning in hossy too with my first at about 19w, and was told to not be a hero and take some panadol./panadiene for the pain!
    I get sharp shooting pain in my left side whenever I do too much - I'm having to give up netball umpiring as a result
    I'm not getting so stressed about it this time, although its just as painful. I remember the pain going after about 3 weeks and it being a more centrered "baby dropping through my fanny" pain, so I'm hoping it happens this time too.
    All I can say is heat bags, occasional pain relief and mentioning to your dr just in case.

annef6722 Guest

Default thanks everyone

thanks everyone for your replies.

its good to know i'm not on my own with this pain! who knows, maybe i won't even get it this pregnancy if i do, it shouldn't be so scarey this time, knowing that its fairly normal.

i don't remember it lasting too long each time. but if it does i might try the panadol/panadene, and definitely the heat bag, as per your advice Fi - shame you have to give up umpiring - my gp has told me its fine to keep exercising through pregnancy these days, but i'll have to see what effect that has on the pain.

when i told my obstetrician about the pain last preg, he just said, oh, its ok, don't worry, the baby is fine! that's wonderful, i thought, but what about me??!!:doctor:

thanks again ladies, and best wishes for a comfortable remainder of your pregnancies,

My obs says the same thng!!!! Baby is doing really well so no problems!!!! Then you think well thats great But what about me?????? I guess its that part of motherhood we put up with the pain as long as they're happy floating around in there!!!

I used to get that pain quite a bit in my preg - got so bad at one point that i went to hosp for a check up. Felt like a panicky preg woman but it's better to be safe than sorry! I found it occured more when i was more physical - but i have stairs at my house and i'm not sure if that added to it or helped. Good luck