Thread: Lil bubba may be small...

baby_mama Guest

Default Lil bubba may be small...

I saw my midwife yesterday and had the normal routine checkup done. Baby's heartbeat, my blood pressure, weight and fundal height. The baby's heartbeat is normal and so is my blood pressure, my wieght has increased by 4kgs since last month (58.5 kgs atm) and my fundal height has gone up 2cms since last month (28cms). I'm 31 weeks and the midwife tells me that my fundal height is small considering that I am almost 32 weeks. She said that it's nothing major to worry about but if my fundal height doesn't increase in 2 weeks time, I'll have to get a scan done. She also told me that it could just be becasue of my body shape, I am very petite and slim. Size 8 and I still fit xs-s clothing. When I'm actually standing up, my belly is HUGE! The midwife noticed that aswell. Is anyone experiencing/experienced the same thing? :?

Pietta Guest

Dont stress too much. I am pretty much the same as you and my fundal is only 28 cm as well. I had an ultrasound done and the doc said to me after that that it can depend on which way the baby is laying and stuff.

Mind you I am the complete opposite to you, I am 5 foot 9 fit in XL and I have a reeeeaaaalllly long torso. 8-[

Orkids Guest

Fundal height seems to be pretty unreliable, it can be influenced by the amount of amniotic fluid, not just the size of the baby. I wouldnt be worried if I were you. Just as an example, a week and a half after an ultrasound that dated my baby at 18 weeks, my fundal height was measured at 24 weeks by the midwife, so obviously it cant be a good indicator of baby size. At my last check 2 weeks ago I was measuring a week ahead.

Hi

I was exactly like that with both Kameron and Lachlan. They were expecting both my boys to be under 5lb and both proved them wrong being 6lb and 6lb 5oz respectively. I wouldn't stress to much. If you do need a scan they will just check the amount of fluid surrounding your baby and to make sure the cord is pumping nicely.

I am also a petite build.

Love :smt049

Hi

Kimberley was a small baby due to being born early she was only 4lb 13oz and she did alright.

If you click on the www bit you can see just how small she was and how well she is doing now.

Are you going to have another scan ?? They told me at one that she was going to be small.

Hi there,
    At almost 30 weeks my fundal height was 27cms and the dr said it is accurate give or take 3 weeks, so they weren't concerned. I did have areally late ultrasound (39 weeks) with my 2nd as the dr was worried about the measurement, they estimated bubs to be 6lb 13oz and he was born 41 weeks and weighed 7lb 8oz. I tried to tell the dr then that bubs was sitting way back, feet right up under my ribs and sort of curled around my right side, but she insisted on the ultrasound. I was right so I wouldn't be too concerned at this stage. I am not quite 5 foot tall, and little as well.
    Cheers Michelle

baby_mama Guest

I got my mum to measure my fundal height for me with a tape measure same as what the hospital uses and it turns out that it's now 34cms. Amazing don't you all reckon. It also feels as though lil bubba is also sitting way back with it's feet right under my ribs. That's put a smile on my face. Hope that lil bubba keeps on growing!

Well that should help to ease your mind.

Hope things continue to improve.
    Cheers Michelle

Orkids Guest

I'm so pleased your bub is growing and kicking so well!! It must be a great feeling after no doubt worrying about its size.