Thread: Loss of appetite??

SueB Guest

Default Loss of appetite??

Can anyone tell me is it normal to lose your appetite? I'm almost 35 weeks and over the last few days have realised i have no appetite.

I don't even have the urge to eat ... i sat trying to think about how much i have been eating when i realised i'm lucky to have a meal a day at the moment and i'm not really snacking either.. Today all i have eaten is two slices of toast very early this morning and a few biscuits.. I'm going to have to make sure that i do eat but i'm really not hungry.

Just wondering if anyone else has felt this way and is it normal or should i be worried?

Yeah, I always feel like this through pregnancy! You need to make sure you're still drinking enough though - I tend to feel more like drinking than eating...

Would things like big banana smoothies work? That's food and liquid in one! Cereal's another I do. And then keep food OUT in plain sight, like strawberries, or whatever you like to nibble on. Do you have a juicer (or even a blender)? Juice could be another good one.

But yeah, normal! But that doesn't mean you can't eat. Set out a certain amount of food each day in the morning, and make sure it's gone by night - that could be a banana smoothie to sip at, a bowl of fruit or vegies, and a couple of other things. It will be work though! It's hard to be motivated when you're just not hungry hey.

SueB Guest

.. I can't believe i'm just not hungry.. all i have done this pregnancy is eat lol or find an excuse to eat hahaha and now nothing .... i am drinking ok yesterday it was cordial i wanted ..but when it comes to food i'm just not hungry but thanks for the tip on the smoothie i will give that a try at least it's got nutrients (sp?)

Thanks Nelle

Has it been hot up near Brissie lately? I'm up in Cairns, and have found on the really hot days I just don't feel hungry. But apart from the occasional "must eat" feelings, I have also not been very hungry since about 35 weeks.

At the moment I've been going crazy for fruit icypoles and pureed fruit. And ice. Lots of lots of ice. (In other words, cold, light stuff and lots of fluids and fruit). But like Nelle said, if you have lots of little healthy light snacky things around (preferably easy stuff that you can just grab out of the fridge or is just sitting around) you'll probably find that you actually nibble through quite a bit without realising it. If you try to force yourself to sit down to a big meal the thought of all of that food might be quite unappetising, but lots of little things are great. If you are also taking supplements it will help, because you'll still be getting a lot of nutrients (especially iron).

Although a lot of women find they are a lot more hungry in late pregnancy, my middies told me that it's not that unusual to go the other way. Bubs will still take nutrients from you for as long as he/she can - you'll just feel crap if you don't replenish what they take!

Best of luck!

I felt the same too in the last few weeks of pg. I think it's probably cause everything is so squished up in there!!
    I agree with Nelle, its important that you make sure you drink enough. And if you're feeling yucky you will probably know it's cause you haven't eaten enough.

~Belinda~ Guest

Hi Sue,

I'm seriously not that hungry. I have lost my appetite a bit for sure.

You know I have shares in zooper doopers though and that's something I haven't lost an interest in!

Bindy xxxx

Hey Sue,

I went through this about a month ago.. lasted for about 2 weeks! I too only felt like fluids! i just drank heaps and tried to snack on little things... like fruit etc... and i found i would even push away my most favourite foods... Lately though i think bubs has dropped a bit and am finding i actually get hungry now!! wooohoo!

Just drink lots and have fruit or salad, which is light!
    xxx

A bit OT, but Suse (not SueB, already answered you! ), do you know how your iron levels are? Sounds funny, but I craved icy things HEAPS with River and a friend's mum said something about when she craved ice when pregnant it meant she was iron deficient...I thought yeah whatever, but got some bloods done, and sure enough quite low iron! Weird. Just thought I'd put it out there...