Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: measuring in fifths

Quote Originally Posted by ~Raven~ View Post
    My OB wrote it this way:

Starts of as 5/5 and as the head is engaged further it goes down the scale to 1/5. I think it's more to do with how much head he could feel rather than how much head is engaged.
    A bit confusing if other's do it the opposite way...no wonder we have trouble talking about this stuff!
    What the?? Are you serious? At my 34 week checkup on Monday my midwife wrote down 1/5 engaged. Hmmm...I am getting lots of what feels like cervix smashing business going on.

Sorry to be a pest but there seems to be conflicting information on what the fifths mean...can anyone confirm what is correct please?

I checked with my midwife on the weekend & she said that when she writes 2/5, she means the baby is 2/5 IN (which is what I was on Saturday - come on baby - hurry up!)

I have this information on engagment.

~ 5/5 the head is entirely above the pelvic brim (the head is not engaged)
    ~ 4/5 the head is just entering the brim (the head is 1/5 engaged)
    ~ 3/5 the hands can still go partially around the head (2/5 engaged)
    ~ 2/5 the hands splay outwards (3/5 engaged)
    ~ 1/5 only the sinciput can be tipped (4/5 engaged)
    ~ 0/5 the head is entirely in the pelvis (fully engaged)

If 5 finger widths of your baby's head is felt, it is written as 5/5 palpable or 'unengaged'.
    If 4 finger widths of your baby's head is felt, it is written as '4/5' palpable or 1/5 engaged.
    If 3 finger widths of your baby's head is felt, it is written as '3/5' palpable or 2/5 engaged.
    If 2 finger widths of your baby's head is felt, it is written as '2/5' palpable or 3/5 engaged.
    If 1 finger width of your baby's head is felt, it is written as '1/5' palpable or 4/5 engaged.
    If your baby's head cannot be felt it is written as 'fully engaged' or 'not palpable'.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12