Thread: music during child birth??

Default music during child birth??

i was just wondering what do you think about playing music whilst in labour?? i have read that it can help with the pain if you make a mixed cd of all your fav songs to listen to during labour has any one tried this or is any one thinking about it?? i had complete silence with bub #1 i was thinking maybe it could be a good idea so during contractions whilst in pain you could maybe sing the words in your head as a distraction?? would you go for relaxing music or your fav songs out at the moment?? i have read storeys about people giving birth to a certain song that they planned i dont know if i would go to that extream but what are your thoughts???????

My DH lovingly put a variety of my fave songs onto the computer so that we could play them at home/in hossy when I was in labour. I didn't listen to any of it, LOL! I even turned it off at one stage - I just found it distracting and annoying. But that's just me It can't hurt to have it there in case you want it.

hmm i hadn't ever thought of having music playing during labour. Would u have it on headphones or just like a little stereo?
    To be honest i don't think i would go for the relaxing type music. I would probably want something i could scream to lol.....who knows tho, listening to quite relaxing music could really help.
    I'm interested to others thoughts on this aswell

Levi's mum,
    Music can be wonderful during labour. Many women find it really helpful - me included!
    I tried music with words during my first labour and found it too distracting (when in full on labour). However, I found some instrumental music really fantastic. I listened to chants during Eva's birth and I found it wonderful. Afterward she always slept when it was on.

I can offer some cd titles if you would like - however, music can be a very personal thing. What one finds soothing can drive another batty!

umm probly on a little sterio i would say because i wouldnt want to block everything else off by having head phones on. i would probly have 2 different cds made maybe one with relaxing music during the time you would want it like hen you aint getting no where and your frustrated so something to calm you down maybe. and i was thinking another with my fav music which is rnb music that has a beat and is catchy i was just thinking that it might work to sing the words in your head with the contraction instead of having midwifes in your ear or complete silence so i think i will really do this and will let everyone know how it fans out but knowing me ill probly end up chucking it at my partner haha.

amy i saw that your due 4 days before me ggod luck darl. do you think you will be on time or not???

I have a CD of classical music, Liebling loves getting a groove on to Strauss so I'm using that... well, turn that groove on into a move on LOL. I figure 70s disco hits may not be what I want Liebling coming into the world with, much as we love dancing to them!

I had music going when I was in labour with Olivia........DH put a mixture onto a CD for me......we played it on a little CD machine that was provided by the hosp in the birthing suite. Ended up that I gave birth to a very 80's track by Lisa Stansfield...."It's so natural" which was totally NOT planned, but very appropriate, LOL!

There was also some Norah Jones on the CD, which I also played a fair bit whilst in hospital with Olivia......and I love the fact that those tracks now totally transport me back to when she was born.......

(Similarly Michael Buble (sp?) will always remind me of when Charlie was born, and Missy Higgins will always remind me of Lexie as a newborn..........)

So I say go for it............

I chose a selection of CD's that I felt I might like to listen to while in labor and put them into a little carry case and took them with me. My dear friend, Cathy, was in charge of changing the CD player throughout my labor. I don't remember EVERYTHING I took with me but I had some Enya, some classical and then an idea that I didn't get to use because I ended up with a c/section. We had our names chosen: James for a boy and Cecelia for a girl. So I had my James Taylor CD with "Sweet Baby James" on it, and also my Simon and Garfunkel CD with "Cecelia" on it with the idea of playing the song immediately after the baby being born. That didn't work out - BUT Michael Buble will forever remind me of having my son because the doctor who performed my c/section chose to listen to a Michael Buble CD during the surgery. "It's a New Day" was playing as James was being born! Very special indeed... So I say give the music a go - I wasn't always aware that it was on consciously, but was ALWAYS aware when it stopped as I would immediately ask someone to put something else on. Many of the midwives commented on how beautiful the music was too.

Paul Kelly was playing when I had Caitlin - they had it going when I had an emergency CS. It was funny to me because Nick thinks I like Paul Kelly, but I'm not that fussed about his music.

There was no music on when I had Alex, I asked them to put on something - I think it was called 'the might quinn' or something like that, from the 60's. We joked about calling Alex, Quinn instead.

I had two CS so didn't use music for relaxation purposes, more for a laugh.

I had the carpenters playing when I delivered the twins, and vivdly remember rocking and humming through the contrx. DD#3 was an emerg csec, and I quite miss being able to tell her what was playing when she was born. #4 was kenny rogers and Celine Dion ( and his name is Dion - coincidence though )