Thread: My legs are uncomfortable...

Default My legs are uncomfortable...

I don't quite know how to explain it. When I lie down to go to sleep it's as if my calves just can't relax. It's not like they're cramping or anything, it's just as if I can't find a comfortable position, like whenever I have them still it doesn't feel right. I move them about, change position, I've even just come downstairs and am lying on the floor with my legs up on the couch and it's the same. Has anyone else had this?!! It's so hard to describe, not painful or anything, but as if I need to move them about, or something. The thing is, I'm REALLY tired!! And I could do with a good night's sleep!

Have you tried propping up your legs with cushions? I find that when mine get all funny in the night they seem to prefer to have cushions between them - one between the knees and one between the ankles. I know it sounds odd, but to keep the cushions in place you can't wriggle around and my legs seem to appreciate it.

Of course, I then roll over in my sleep and the cushions are thrown to the floor, but it gets me off.

HTH!

I can relate Sasha. Mine are especially bad after an active day. I find that getting my DH to massage them before I go to sleep helps. I hope you can get some sleep soon.

MG

I have to sleep with a pillow between my legs each night or i don't get any sleep.
    I hope you are able to get a good nights sleep soon.

Thanks everyone. I think it is to do with how active I've been during the day. I'll get DH to give me a leg and foot massage tonight and see if that helps! I usually use the pillows between the legs but when I feel so restless even that doesn't help much.

I had this during pregnancy and DH gets this (and then jerks his legs around in bed - drives me bonkers!). Apparently it's called restless legs syndrome! A massage is a good idea, apparently walking a bit is supposed to help...I can't remember what else - I just jerked my legs around to give DH a taste of his own medicine! :P

ETA: Just remembered I used to clench the muscles and hold it, then release. I would do that til my legs got tired. Was helpful when I couldn't be bothered walking (though I usually needed to pee anyway).

I use pillows to help this problem as well~ I sleep with about 6 there everwhere (between the legs, under the legs, at the back, under the belly~) Pillows have become my best friends!

And if your getting cramps - eat a banana every day, your proberly low on potassium~

i have heard magnesium can help restless legs i would check that one with your doctor/midwife/ob i remember taking it with my last pregnancy to stop the feeling it just drove me insane !

Restless Leg Syndrome, what an original name!!!

I'm seeing my midwife next week, I'll ask her then. Got DH to rub my legs tonight, hopefully it will be better...

I had a bit of this! The only way to stop the ache in my muscles was to jiggle my legs a bit. Very annoying it was.

Renaee Guest

I have this same condition as well. My legs just feel stiff and heavy and when I wake up, I feel like I have squashed them. I cannot roll over in my sleep anymore, so have to wake up to roll over, this gives some relief to the legs. Also, I have a very long sausage like pillow that I sleep with between my legs. It is great, a special materinity pillow that I could not do without at the moment.

I don't think there is any way to avoid this increasing general feeling of heaviness as we draw towards the end. I find a gently walk before bed can help my circulation and relieve the stiffness somewhat.

I know exactly how you feel Sasha. I also get restless legs syndrome(R.L.S). Although I've had it even before pregnancy and my mother also gets it aswel. I heard that it is caused by caffeine and smoking, but since being pregnant i don't do either(although i do have a cup of tea occasionally). So I'm not sure why i still get it.

The only way i get any sleep is also by using the pillow between my legs. I find that the coldness of the pillow eases the, what i call, "ants inside your legs feeling".

Hope you get some relief, if you find cures let me know

Simone

Sasha I can totally relate to you there. Its so annoying! I find that I have to get up and go for a little walk around the house and stretch out my legs, or clenching my muscles and it sort of helps when I do that.

Well, not sure what I'm doing right but the last couple of nights have been better. Although that may just be that I'm so exhausted I've just fallen asleep before they begin to keep me awake!