Thread: Natural Products for bub - wipes / suncream ect

Default Natural Products for bub - wipes / suncream ect

Hi Everyone,

not really sure where to post this... I've been looking around for some natural / organic / free of bad things products to use on bub. was wondering if anyone had any recommemdations...

I've had a hard time finding baby wipes for when we are out? I bought some natacare ones but they where really expensive. what do you use to clean bottoms when you are home? what about natural suncream? planet ark has Soleo on special has anyone tried this? have bought some gaia soothing lotion and bath wash and also some paw paw cream to try.

please someone let me know if I should post this somewhere else. Thanks Mel

I've got the Soleo sunscreen.. it's a bit hard to rub in, and if you're going to the beach.. definitely do it ahead of time as it remains a bit oily while it soaks in (it's to be expected tho when it's made of all those yummy oils hehe). Mind you, it wasn't hard to rub onto DS, only onto me.

I quite like the Aromababy range.. I think they have wipes too.

Hiya Mel, I love the GAIA wash for Natty. She has dry skin and this wash seems to really agree with her (plus it smells so delish!). Other natural products that are good for sensitive skin are oats in a stocking (really moisturises the skin) or milk.
    Can't help you with the sunscreen, sorry... We tend to just stay out of the direct sun, or cover up, and if we have to, we use hamiltons kiddie sunscreen (not a 'natural' product as far as I'm aware...)
    When we go out, I use regular disposable wipes, but when we're at home I use Baby Beehinds cloth wipes (not sure what fabric they are... I think bamboo fleece?) or more simply squares of terry flat nappies that I have hemmed up. There are lots of great fabrics out there (like sherpa) that are good for wipes, but I find the terry toweling does just fine for us. I just use water, but I've heard of people making up lovely concoctions using camomile tea etc to soak their wipes in. Ask around the cloth nappy threads if you'd like some more ideas.

We have some lovely sunscreen that we use - UV Natural - from the pharmacy. It's expensive, but seems good enough.

UV Natural International - Official Site - The future in sunscreen

As for wipes, when we go out I just take a couple of face washers and a zip-lock bag. You can make up a solution of baby wash and water into a little spray bottle if you like, add a couple of drops of massage oil or summat too. Or dampen the washers with the mixture - I do this at home and out.

Thanks guys thats some great ideas I will ask in the nappy thread for wipes I have some terry face washers and cotton wool just wasn't sure what to wipe with, I've read some people use sorbolean but I like the spray bottle idea or making up my own. thank you!

Hi Mel
    I use sweet almond oil (from health food shop) with cotton make up remover squares for babies bottom instead of wipes. If it is bad, I tissue off excess poo, use one pad with oil on it then a warm wet face washer to do a final clean. It is all very quick and the oil protects against rash and is a fine, pure oil. You could use olive too -it would be cheaper. U just have to get the flannel wet on the way to the change table! I bought a pack of ten baby facewashers at Best and Less for a few dollars and keep them as bottom wipes as they are smallish and thinner than adult ones! You can buy Seventh generation or wot bot wipes from websites and they are mostly chemical and nasty free but are on the expensive side. Sorbolene would be fine too.
    Soleo is a thickish, oily sunscreen but much better for you than others. I don't mind it at all. No sunscreen should be used on babies under 6 months.
    Weleda make lovely natural products- calendula baby soap, bottom cream etc. It is in some organic and health fd shops but also at a stall at the Freo markets next to the one that sells spices and teas! Also,I buy Eco Store stuff from the healthfood shop. Free of all nasties, made in nz and lovely products. I even use their detergent for dishes. It is relatively cheap too.
    Watch the paw paw cream- if it is the Lucas one the paw paw is in a petroleum base. For a bad rash I would use a zinc oxide- there are many- just check the ingredients. I use Sudocrem when necessary.
    Ask if you want any more info!
    PS the Aromababy barrier cream/balm is meant to be good for bottoms too.