Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nightly Legs Cramps

Default Nightly Legs Cramps

Any suggestions on how to avoid getting leg cramps when sleeping at night??

I had the most horrendous cramps, waking me up twice through the night. I have heard that a lack of salt in the diet can cause cramps, but I have never added salt to my food &never had a problem before.

I just know there is a thread here about this, but I have searched & searched but can't find it. I think maybe it was Tootie or Christy that was asking about it?? (sorry guys, can't remember who)

I had the same with Kimberley but did nothing about it. It used to get so bad. Have you tried putting your legs on an extra pillow when you sleep ?

I was told once calcium tablets will help but not sure if you are able to take them while pg.

Sorry not much help.

I hope you find an answer to what to do.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Sarah,

I have suffered from leg cramp in both pregnancies and nothing has helped me. The first preg I was told to take Caltrate (calcium + magnesium which helps calcium absorbsion) with no luck. I think I also tried elevating my legs at night which also did nothing. I wish I had an answer but nothing seems to help me either - it's not nice Sorry mate...
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Hi Sarah

I took Calcium tablets when I was pregnant with Lachlan and it did help.

Love :hbeat:

Melinda Guest

I suffered with the leg cramps Sarah, and I think I mentioned it several times LOL. It's not very nice. From memory I mentioned it to the OB and there wasn't anything that could be done about it. I used to find that doing a few stretches eased it a little bit, as did getting up and walking for just a minute or two...I know that's not the ideal situation in the middle of the night, but since being PG you're up at the loo a bit more frequently anyway, you can kind of kill two birds with one stone so to speak....LOL. I used to do the stretches before bed too.

Okey dokey, I might try the calcium tablets & stretches before bed. I've been drinking heaps of milk / eating yoghurt so I think my calcium levels are ok, not sure if the tables will help, but hey anythings worth a try.

I was a big milk drinker too Sarah and still got the cramps.

That's interesting, I suppose it's just not enough milk still.... Will try the tablets, do I just get them at the chemist?

Yep, just speak to the pharmacist as he might be able to give you ones designed more specifically for the cause. I know my OB wrote down the name of a brand and I had to ask for it. Can't remember what it was called though grr don't think i still have them

I might wait til Monday cos I have an appointment with my Dr, he might recommend something like your OB did.

Thanks Kathryn Will let you know how I get on.

layla Guest

Hi,
    I had the same problem, I'd wake up screaming in pain on a regular basis!!! 8-[
    The calcium tablets helped a little but the best remedy was eating a packet of salty chips before bed. It's not something you want to do every night but it really works!

Melinda Guest

I was having heaps of yoghurt etc too Sarah but it didn't help me any!

I was just reading an article in a mag and it says that to help get rid of cramps to eat a banana a day... hmmmm... don't know why?

Remember Sarah, our bodies change soo much when we are pregnant, it is hard to compare yourself now as to want you are like without being pregnant. IYKWIM??

I had been getting leg cramps as well and I get restless legs when I am really tired. I have taken to sleeping with my body pillow every night with one leg over and some of the pillow between my legs and have found that helps.

Chatting to your Dr is probably the best idea.

It's funny you mention the body pillow Nell, cos when I woke up it had fallen onto the floor. Maybe I was sleeping in a funny position cos it wasn't there any more :-k

Hi Sarah - I get leg cramps anyway, not too severe but enough to keep me awake sometimes at night.
    Banana's probably help cos they are quite high in potassium, which is similar to calcium and sodium (i think from rudimentary chemistry...) They commonly form salts?
    My suggestion would be to massage with something like deep heat (check if safe during pg) before sleeping and try wheatbags/icepacks on the legs when they cramp up.
    I've always found massage to be the best thing for cramping.
    Hope ya get better!
    Fi

Deep heat's a no-no Fi, I checked a while ago for another complaint. Aparently cos it's absorbed into your body it ends up at the placenta & is no good for bubs at all. Besides that, my skin's too sensitive for it!

Ohhh - sorry to give bad advice! Thanks for the tip on deat heat though - I guess tiger balm is the same?
    Maybe another thing to do would be to got to a naturopath and get a massage oil made up? They would probably use a carrier oil like apricot seed adn then add some good stuff in to help with relaxing the muscles. Again -I'm not sure what these would be, but they would be very careful not to put anything naughty for bubs in?
    Sometimes I think it would have been great to be in the middle ages and to just pop down to the village witch for a magic brew! Frogs legs, eye of newt, bats wings - who knows, all of these things may do the job for cramps!
    Fi

There is a natural alternative to deep heat etc that is safe. I used it during my pregnancy. Andrew had to have it when he put his back out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast