Thread: No engaged at all @ 38 weeks

Default No engaged at all @ 38 weeks

I had my appointment and my Dr said that my baby has not attempted to engage at all (she is still 5/5 and he can fit all of his fingers under her head she is that far above the pubic bone.) He mentioned that this was unusual for a baby of normal size and health... And given the fact that I have never experienced a braxton hicks, and the fact that I have been walking for km's every day it is not looking hopeful....

We have been given until next Monday for her to move down a bit before we book a date for a c-section.... I don't mind having one - and my dr is prepared to support me through a natural birth if I want one...

Has anyone got any advice or tips for engaging a bub? Just want to try some stuff out before next Monday!!!

Hmmm, very interesting

Obs actually said that 'engaged' technically speaking is 2/5.... So I am not even on the scale apparanltly being 5/5 that bubs head is entirely above the pelvis!!

I wish I could do something to bring her down... He said she is fine to pop out now if she so wished, but because her head is so high she wont

Im overdue and my bub has still not 'engaged' he has always presented above the pelvis 5/5 was down 4/5 but moved back up. Ive heard that long walks and rotating your hips on a fitness ball to try to open the pelvis might work. But i havent had any luck.

Im hoping i might just have to push him down a little further like Fletch did

Simone

Oh really Simone?? WOw, it seems that bubs not being engaged when you go into labour might not be as big of a problem as I thought!!!

I might just keep up with my long walks, spicy foods and the rest to try and encourage her to come down :P

Hi Noodle. Natalie was 4/5 engaged on her due date, but moved down a couple of days before she was born. I didn't ever feel any BHs either. The only action I felt was pre-labour contractions the day before she was born. At 38 weeks bubs still has time, surely?

Noodle, just because bub is not yet engaged is no reason to book in for a c section. Plenty of labours start with a baby not engaged, many babies settle into the position once labour has begun.

My second baby never engaged, he was also posterior, but was born after only 90 minutes of labour so it can be done.

Have a look on the spinning babies site for optimal fetal positioning. It should have some hints on there to encourage bub to move down, but keep in mind as I said that not all babies do engage. All it means is an extra push or 2 !!

Are you drinking any Raspberry Leaf Tea ?? These will help to tine your uterus and make for better, stronger contractions. It sometimes can increase BH's too. Worth a try.

Don't do anything hasty hun, good luck.

My DD didnt' engage till I was 5cm dilated in labour, I was under the impression it wasn't unusual.

I'd get a second opinion on the c-section...sounds a bit odd.

Good luck!

My first baby never engaged either until labour - at my last appointment at 39+1 he was still 5/5 and didn't look like moving down. My Dr wasn't concerned as he said that not all babies will engage. He was born 5 days later, 1 day early and I had a trouble free 12 hr birth. He did engage once labour had established though, so your little girl has plenty of time to engage and if she doesn't that doesn't mean you can't have a vaginal birth either.

I 2nd the call for raspberry leaf suppliments.

My little guy has been head down since at least week 28 but about 3 days after I started taking the tablets and drinking the tea, he jammed himself down and hasn't shifted since (this was at about 34 weeks)! Then again it could be coinsidence!

Like the others have said, don't worry too much, as he may spontaneously engage of his own accord or you may just have to push him down in early labour.

Good luck

THanks guys. I have been taking raspberry leaf tablets (the blackmores ones) 2 tabs 3 x a day I have been walking and walking and walking like there is no tomorrow!

Well it seems pretty normal that some bubs dont engage until labour... I wont do anything hasty or make any decisions just yet.

And I have a full week before my next appointment to encourage her down as well

hi there.... i have just been at my doc's appointment and been told the same thing... baby is not engaged and very high up, and i am almost full term. this baby is expected to be quite huge (although who really knows)... i am having another appointment on monday and if nothing has changed, will book in for a c section that week. the doc seems to think that it hasn't engaged because of the size of its head, and the size of my pelvis. if i wanted to i could go past the due date and be induced and try for a vaginal birth, but the idea of being in labour for hours on end only to end in an emergency c section (most likely) is not appealing to me. plus if this baby is a 10 pounder do i really want to push it out?!! anyways i am leaning towards the more controlled approach of booking the c-section, at least this way i can plan for it, and fast and it wont be an emergency middle of the night operation etc.

i know babies can engage during labour, but it has been a worry for a few months now due to this baby's expected size, and the fact i am only tiny, there has been a lot of speculation with whether it would fit.

i am not wrapped with having a c-section, but in a way it is a HUGE relief and has really taken away a lot of anxiety and fear for me. anyways best of luck, i am so excited i will probably be meeting my little (big) baby next week.

Wow, your situation sounds almost exactly like mine

I am giving acupuncture a go this arvo, it probabley wont work but at least I will feel like I am trying something....