Thread: Is this normal?

Default Is this normal?

I'm 29 weeks pregnant today and it has been bothering me a wee bit that my breasts really haven't grown that much at all. My gf is 8 weeks pregnant and she has already gone up a full bra and cup size. Is this unusual not to 'grow' or is it normal and I should stop worrying? Does it have any bearing on my ability to breast feed? Thanks.

Renaee Guest

Hi Rachel,

From what i have read and heard, breast size has no bearing at all on your ability to breast feed (unless you are seriously malnroushed/anorexic).

I am 33 weeks and my breast size has not changed at all either, the only thing I have noticed is that my nipples and aerola are larger and a bit darker.

If you are worried about breastfeeding, a good thing to do to boost your confidence if to give your breasts a good massage with some almond oil or somthing like that, and practice expressing a little colostrum out of them. If you use lots of massage oil and massage the glands behind the nipple, you will most likely get some. For me I find it reassurring to know that there is some there already

Don't worry about the size though, as soon as your milk comes in on the 3 or 4th day after birth, they will probably be huge and you will miss your former size!

All the best - Renaee.

Some women will get the big boobs straight up and others don't - either way it will not affect your ability to BF when the time comes. And like Renaee said, you could get huge ones when your milk comes in.

Hi Rachel, nothing to worry about. Mine haven't gone up a size either, though I have noticed some pigment/colouring changes. I know that size doesn't effect production because mine are starting to get a bit leaky already and they are not big.

LOL love the size they are now Rachel, cos they fully explode in size once bub is born!!!

Mine did and i was shocked they could actually get that big, big to start with and once Chelsea was born 2-3 days later i swear they doubled in size!!

Hi Rachel
    Your breast size has no effect on milk production or your ability to feed

Thanks everyone, I knew I was probably worrying about nothing but there is a lot of new territory to cover and if you don't ask you don't know, right! I'll cherish them now before they take off!! lol. Ta and merry christmas everyone.