Thread: Not engaged at 39 weeks

Default Not engaged at 39 weeks

I'm almost 39 weeks, and this bubba (our first) is still sitting high ( i still get a bum wiggling into my diaghram!). Does it matter that the head hasn't engaged? I know I've read somewhere that bubs can engage during labour, but how does labour get going without the head pressing on the cervix? I have been getting alot of pressure in my pubic area, and over a few evenings, I've had small runs (about 4) of braxton hicks, so somethings happening, but not much. Just wondering as I don't really want to go late, but is this likely with bubs sitting so high still?

thanks (hope this makes sense!)

A lot of women go into labour without their bub being engaged. A friend of mine did, and she only had a 6 hour labour. I know you would prefer not to overdue, but you've still got until 42 weeks for bub to engage. Hang in there, and try to think positive thoughts.

It doesn't matter. Honestly it doesn't
    It might mean you go a bit late...but it might not. Not much help am I. Recently I had a client who had an unengaged baby still at 41 weeks - went into labour at 41w4d and had a three hour labour. Trust your body, and your baby they know what they're doing

I had a growth and development scan when I was 34w6d. DS's head was low down but definitely not engaged. I went into labour about 42hrs later and DS was born about 45hrs later. So it seems it can all happen very quickly.

I hope you don't have to wait too much longer.... :goodluck2:

It is not a problem hun. As others have said sometimes bub will not engage until you are in labour