Thread: Not much amnio fluid around bub

Question Not much amnio fluid around bub

Hi everyone

Just curious if anyone else had this or knows much about it. I had a scan yesterday to check the placenta has moved up which is has. All the organs are good and bub is very healthy, spot on average size for 34.5 weeks but fully breech and wedged bum down (as suspected). Now the guy doing the scan said there wasnt much room in there and that there wasn't alot of fluid either, he didnt say this was a bad thing but then that is not his job and as bub is healthy anyway I am not overly concerned either. I am curious however as to the following, being summer and pg, us lucky ladies tend to have alot more 'discharge' and sweatiness down there. Now if I was to have a slow leak at any time, how would I know the difference? I have heard that if the seal is broken and not much has happened within 24 hours, then there is an increased chance of infections to the baby.

Also does less fluid and room to move mean my baby is less likely to turn around? Stubborn little one has been comfortably in this position for months! I have heard lots of people say their baby turned in the final few weeks so I reaally hope this will happen as I am keen to have a vaginal birth but just not bum first and I dont think there is any hossy in Perth that would do it anyhow.

Thanks!!
    Nets

kiki Guest

Thumbs up

Don't worry too much about the fluid level as everyone has a different amount and it does tend to decrease as you approach term, they would have said if there was something wrong. As gross as this sounds amniotic fluid smells like semen and that is a good way of telling if your waters have broken. Most labours will commence within a week of the menbranes rupturing anyway but there is a slight increased risk of infection after 18 hours and if you don't want to be induced you have to be sensible (ie no sex) and watch your temperature.

As for the breech have you tried to turn it? there are lots of suggestions on the web but Moxibustion is very effective (up to 95%). There's also lots of positons to try to encourage the baby to turn and breast stroke swimming is good too. Also keep inmind that 90% of breeches turn in the 39th week so I wouldn't be too keen to leap into and elective Ceaser at 38 weeks as most Drs would have you do.

Good luck with it all anyway and here's wishing you a head down baby soon.

Thanks Kiki
    Yeah I heard it smells like that :eek: but still not sure if I will be able to tell the difference at the moment (being summer and sweaty all the time etc).

I havent tried to turn bub yet as I was waiting for the scan yesterday to confirm position. I have exercises etc to do to help which I will start doing. What is Moxibustion? Havent heard of that one yet..
    Definately wont be leaping into a ceaser, friends have said their bub turned either day before labour or in labour ward so I am almost positive this one will with encouragement.
    Cheers mate
    Last edited by Netty; January 20th, 2007 at 10:13 PM.

Ok I just googled Moxibustion... any idea where I buy the sticks from??

kiki Guest

Anywhere that does accupuncture you'll be able to get the sticks. It's also more effective if done in conjunction with accupunture (ie needles in then heat the needles) I'd recommend getting it done by someone who knows what they're doing. I know an accupunctureist where I live that has never had one fail.

Cool thanks Kiki, will look into it this week.

Netty did he not tell you what the fluid level was at your scan ? It should say on your scan report what the level is.

I had the same problem one week i would have low fluid level and the next it was a little higher. The level changes all the time and they will only worry if it goes below 5cm. Mine never went below 6.7cm.