thread: OMG, did I just loose my plug?

Sep 2007
    Brisbane

Question OMG, did I just loose my plug?

Sorry in advance for the TMI (way way TMI!).

I had cramps tonight, so I had a hot shower to try to get rid of them. While I was in the shower, something fell out of my gina. It was rubbery, like EWCM but much stiffer, and was mixed with smears of brown blood. It was about a tablespoon in size.

DH & I dtd for the first time in ages last night, so I guess it could have been that. However, I have never spotted after dtd this pregnancy (only once when I was about 8 weeks) and his leftovers are never this solid / stiff etc. (again, sorry for the way TMI).

Did I loose my plug?

And, if it was my plug, does that mean I could go into early labour? Can I request an internal from my GP to see if it was my plug?

Apr 2007
    Inner South East suburbs Melbourne

The answer is yes you could have lost your plug, and no it doesn't necessary mean you are going to go into labour. Also, intercourse can dislodge part of it. I lost mine well and truly about two weeks ago. An internal won't necessarily reveal anything, but it may stir things up a bit.

Ain't pregnancy grand???!

Sep 2007
    Brisbane

Doh, I am trying not to get excited, LOL. I wanna meet my girl!

Ahh, the joys of pregnancy .

Apr 2007
    Inner South East suburbs Melbourne

Doh, I am trying not to get excited, LOL. I wanna meet my girl!

Ahh, the joys of pregnancy .
    Will you scream at me if I say "not long to go now"?

It's alright, I know how you feel. Every time I go to the loo I'm disappointed my waters haven't broken.

BellyBelly Professional Support Panel

Nov 2005
    QLD

Sounds like your plug to me. No it does not mean that you will go into labour early. Sorry.

Jul 2006
    Logan

Yep it could have been your plug hon. Some people start to loose their plug weeks before giving birth. I think my SIL started loosing hers around 36wks and her bub was born at 39wks. I lost my plug right on 40wks and gave birth within 12 hours.

HTH. If the bleeding increases please seek medical advice.

Sep 2007
    Brisbane

Will you scream at me if I say "not long to go now"?

It's alright, I know how you feel. Every time I go to the loo I'm disappointed my waters haven't broken.
    Yes, yes I will scream .

I totally understand you wanting your waters to break! Come on out bubba, I think you have had enough prelabour stress.

Dec 2007
    Sunny Qld

geez does this mean that you won't even be able to use your maternity leave to come visit me cos you'll be having your baby instead....

So rude

FWIW - I lost parts of my plug continously for 16 days before my csection with DS and didn't go into labour.

Sep 2008
    Sunshine Coast QLD

(tmi) I've been losing mine over the past week and a half and your plug sounds exactly like mine was and i haven't done the deed in months (poor fella) haha. Mine is now coming out snotty looking! ah the joys of pregnancy.

Follow Pandora On Twitter

Jan 2005
    cowtown

oooh its getting to the exciting end though.

So, if you do lose your plug say a few weeks before you go into labour, do you have to take any precautions regarding infection? - like swimming in public pools etc is that still OK?

Feb 2008
    Down Under

yes definatly sounds like your plug!!!!
    wooohooo

Sep 2007
    Brisbane

Soo.... can I still dtd???

Jan 2009
    hiding under my desk!

yup go for it! lots and lots and lots oohhh and lots
    hehe

Feb 2008
    Down Under

Here is something to get you a bit excited..... i went into labour half an hour after DTD!!!!!

Jan 2007
    where cosmopolitans and margaritas flow all night

Sounds very much like your plug. I went into labour a day and a half after losing my plug

Jul 2006
    Melbourne

Sounds like it hun! How exciting to be getting so close to meeting your little girl!

I can't help myself though.....having a premmie baby is quite stressful, and not something I'd wish on anyone (having had a 35 weeker myself). So although this is a very exciting time, I wouldn't be actively trying to bring on labour

Jul 2004

Sounds exactly how mine looked. I lost mine 2 weeks before iwent into labour. But i went into labour 3 hours after DTD lol.

You can still DTD. The only time you can't is if your waters break.

So exceiting isn't it!?

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Jun 2005
    Blue Mountains

Sounds like plug to me too.. I lost mine 2 days before going into labour with DS. Don't recall losing it with DD? But she was prem.. must have lost it during labour.

I wouldn't wish a prem on anyone either... try and keep cooking for another 10 days or so at least hehe.