Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Overdue in March

jojozep Guest

Great points made by all, didnt realise that my post would spark such excellent debate!
    Jillian - I am going through the RBWH, my last baby was born in the birth centre, and it was a truly amazing experience, I felt totally empowered and was completely supported in my choices for a completly natural birthing experience. Unfortunatly due to the ballot process, I wasnt able to go through the birth centre for this bub, and am going through the normal channels - I have found the process very demoralising, and I feel like my power to make choices has been taken from me. Perhaps I havent been assertive enough with the OB's, and I do plan to change that.
    I am not happy to go ahead with the planned induction, as I truly believe that this baby will arrive when she is ready, if there was something wrong medically, it would be a different story and I would not hesitate to do whatever I had to to ensure bubs and my safety - but this is not the case, I have been booked in to be induced because of the number 40 +10 days - so far everything is perfect, but bubs is obviously not ready and is where she needs to be right now - inside me.
    I am however accepting birthing vibes from all who wish to send them

I went to a public hospital and was allowed to continue until 40 + 17 days when they induced me. I was allowed to wait but the hospital finally said enough was enough and I had to be induced. My GP however gave birth at the same hospital but she went 21 days overdue! She was a Doctor and made that choice herself, but she told me she would never be induced, ever.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

It's okay to refuse an induction by all means, but please be sure you or a doctor / midwife organises a scan to check amniotic fluid levels and placental blood flow post dates.

You all know how much I don't agree with routine induction and how I always say dates from ultrasounds are a load of crap, but if you are overdue, a scan I think is something worth comprimising on once you are well overdue or if you are concerned.

My teacher recently took on a woman last minute for birth support, she was two weeks overdue and things went horribly wrong - the Ob had not organised any ultrasounds to check on bubs at all and the placenta had deteriorated and baby was in intensive care for weeks - was very sick. I am not trying to scare people from going overdue - most bubs and placentas are usually fine going this long but if your bub isn't ready by the time the placenta starts to deteriorate or there are low fluid levels, that is a time to start thinking about induction. And that is a good reason to have modern medicine at our fingertips.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

jojozep Guest

Yep good point Kelly, I am going for an OB appt tomorrow, and will ask for a scan - can you tell me how do they monitor the amount of fluid??

jojozep Guest

I had Jane - She was amazing and it made the whole birthing experience so special - I was devastated when I missed out this time.

jojozep Guest

Wow we had the same midwife and Jane is now in the birth suites???? OMG thats fantastic I might actually get her she was fantastic
    \/
    Thanks Jillian, you've made me feel a little better

jojozep Guest

Just thought I'd pop in to let you all know that after having a good think about it, I phoned the hospital last night and spoke to a midwife about changing the induction date from today to Thursday - that at least buys me some time. So thanks everyone for all of your support will let you know how it all goes

WoOo hooOo jojo!!! Great stuff. How's that walking going

About the scan, an experienced sonographer can see the fluid levels and the placenta function, so see if you can get in asap to make sure everyone is happy and also so you can relax a little too. Your Ob will want you to have one I am sure, so you wont have any problems with the scan request.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

How are you going Jo? Dying to hear!!!
    Kelly xx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12