Thread: .. Pain under/on bottom left rib?

Babushka Doll Guest

Default .. Pain under/on bottom left rib?

Just wondering if anyone else has experience this, I have a constant pain on my bottom left rib on one spot spaning about 3cm, and maybe slightly underneath my rib, but only at the bottom of my rib cage. When i press on it it feels like a bad bruise.

I have had it pretty much for the last month, it doesn't get better or worse it has been pretty much the same.

Has anyone else had this? its starting to concern me a little as its only on one side in one area, what could It be i wonder?

Thanx
    XX

Mustang Guest

Well, when i was pregnant i had a very simular thing... my bub would always kick me on the right side just under my rib!...it was his favourtite place to kick me!...I was always very sore and brused and it use to hurt real bad. i could even press on it and it would hurt like you say yours does...

My guess is try and see if that is maybe where your baby has fun in kicking you. If not and your still concerned it wouldnt hurt to tell your doc at your next anitnal visit.

I had something similar... a few cm's of pain like a bad bruise near my left ribs. When my midwife felt it, she told me it was babys arm in an awkward spot.

Yeah i'd say it's due to bubs position pressing up against your rib. Ouch! Hope it begins to cease once bub drops lower.

I reckon its bubs foot.

If I press on any part of juniors body, it hurts me like im pressing a bruise iykwim?

Does bubs normally kick up there?

Hey BD, I've had that a lot lately and it really hurts when the doctor presses there. It's from being tender from getting a foot stuck in there, it would be like being bruised I suppose. I get the pain in the same spot in my back also.

Rib pain is a concern if it gets very very painful and won't go away and is in the centre or the right hand side. That's when you need to get it checked straight away, but to me it sounds pretty normal what's going on, those limbs hurt!

Hey I've had the same sort of rib pain for about a month as well, I'm almost 36 weeks now, and the OB had a feel and told me it was the baby's bottom!

It gets worse when I lie down on my right side (left bottom rib, so I'm figuring when I lie on my right the whole baby gets pushed up further into the left side of my ribcage).

Also when I press it with my hand it feels sore and bruised.

Sounds like there are a few of us with bodyparts doing nasty things to our ribs.

x

I have exactly the same pain on the left rib and it only goes if I sit up really straight and arch my back. It hurts to sleep aswell. I was worried at first but am glad to read I'm not the only one.

The baby is transverse though so I don't know what body part it is!

Babushka Doll Guest

Thanx girls, I saw my OB yesterday (34 wks) and he said 'normal' DOH! looks like I will have to put up with this little footsy under my rib for a while longer..... ouch.

dawnatello12 Guest

i have had that pain on and off for MONTHS. darn baby likes that one side to rest her foot on that rib and usually when settling in for a long night. feels better when laying down then sitting up. i try to wiggle her around but mostly that doesnt work. just have to wait for her move!! sometimes eating helps to get her moving around especially something sugary.

c.leanne Guest

I know that pain way too well, but I don't think it is a foot- firstly becasue my baby is all lopsided and over on the right side at the momment, and I'm pretty sure the feet are under my right ribs. Plus, the baby has been doing loops and somersaults over the last couple of weeks, yet the pain is there nearly every night, and during the day too when I leant over computer too much. Also, the 1st time I mentioned it the a midwife, (about 30 weeks, or a little earlier?) she measured and said my uterus wasn't even up that high yet. My theory is a bit weird- but the only other woman I know who knew what I meant (before I figured out you guys knew all about it!) it another shorty bum like me. Have spoken to a few midwives/Dr's about it (mainly as only painful/annoying thing in an otherwise really comfortable pregnancy and I have to have something to tell them @ appointments!), and they are all a bit vague. The only answer that made sense was- I'm pretty short, I have very little waist height, and the baby has to go somewhere- hence pressure on ribs rather than actual baby bits. Doesn't explain why its almost always left though, rather than left and right!! mm that might blow my theory too!!It does help me to spend as much time with left arm raised as possible- kind of resting my hand on head in traffic etc..!

What's the problem with pain etc on the right hand side????