Thread: Painful, regular BH contractions

Default Painful, regular BH contractions

Hey there,

Was hoping to get a bit of advice on what my body is doing lately (Alan?).
    I've had many BHs this pregnancy, starting 16 weeks, but getting quite strong and noticable since 22-24 weeks. I think I have an irritable uterus as I did with my DD, both times which was kick started by threatened preterm labour at 22 weeks, both pregnancies.

Last night, I was a bit uptight and had a silly arguement with DP. I was getting quite painful BH contractions and after a few hours of that, started to time them at 9pm. I had 17 in the first hour, all 3 - 4 minutes apart lasting 30 seconds, then the second hour, they weren't as many, I had 13 and were 4-5 minutes apart which was the reason I didn't got into the hospital as they had slowed down, not gotten faster.

The contractions were the normal BH's I've been getting, knocking the breath out of me and my stomach becoming rock hard and I have to breathe through them as they must push on my lungs.

A big difference this time though to the normal BH's was that with each contraction I got a deep aching pain right down in my groin and through it had constant back pain, contracting or not which got quite intense during the contraction.

I know I'm not in labour, and it's eased again this morning, just contracting as normal when I move around or change position, i was just wondering if I could get advice on why sometimes they come on regular like that, and does it mean anything? Like maybe that labour is closer than I think? And I shouldn't worry if they have stopped today, should I?

Tara, I'm having regular BH too...I am a bit concerned myself so I'd definitely love to hear what everyone has to say?!

How are you feeling now Ash? They settled down?

Maybe there's something in the air for us around the 33 week mark or something. Mine at least have settled down, although I have a very reactive uterus today so just trying to have an easy day. Just hope that's it till at least 36 weeks, didn't like that deja vu feeling I got last night back to the time I was in labour with DD. Scary!

They seemed to have settled because I'm not walking/sitting in the car today.

But, I've had some bleeding....

Eeek, have you called the hospital?

Hi Tara
    It is hard for me to be sure without checking you out but from what you posted it sounds like you was in early labour. Don't worry, this does not mean that you are going to give birth in the next few days, you could still go past your due dates. For some women this starting and stopping can happen a few times before labour starts and continues. However I suggest that you should start to take things easy and rest when you can. I think everyone would prefer that baby to stay in there or for another 3-4 weeks

Hey Alan,

Thanks heaps for your reply. That's a bit scary, that was how it felt. I'd had a very busy day also, I was on my feet for 3 hours shopping, probably should stop things like that. I've felt very drained and exhausted since and had TMI - increased discharge since the regular night so I've not been doing to much.

My goal is 36 weeks, as I've always had a niggly feeling I might go early this pregnancy and also got early PE symptoms and been scared about preterm bub, I don't mind when he comes after that, but as long as I make it there

Thanks so much again for replying.

Tara
    Take things easy from now on. Lots of rest. No more than 1 hour shopping twice a week. No heavy lifting (laundry). No playing sport.
    If you get regular contractions again that last for more than 1 hour. Go to the hospital. They can give you some tablets th stop the contractions

Thanks Alan, I think it's time I start to take this more seriously. The hospital is over an hour away which is why I am very reluctant to go in, especially as I have other children. Another reason to rest up properly.

Thanks again for all your help Alan