Thread: Pelvic Floors to tight??? HELP

SossiGirl is offline Believes things do happen for a reason.. but sometimes would like to know what the reason is

Unhappy Pelvic Floors to tight??? HELP

Hi Everyone

Advice on relaxing my pelvic floor muscles would be much appreciated. My Dr says today that my pelvic floors are very tight which could lead to some serious tearing during labour. My EDD is next Thursday and I have booked in to be induced so i have a week to get these pelvic floors relaxed??

I have been told squats and perennual massage??

More advice would be appreciated..

Thank you.. .

Sonia, a midwife told me to do the perineal massage thing. I dont know if I have tiight pelvic floor or not, but she did say it can help prevent or lessen tearing.

SossiGirl is offline Believes things do happen for a reason.. but sometimes would like to know what the reason is

I think thats the only thing to do really.. will start tthat ASAP..

Also work on your breathing and relaxation techniques while you are doing your exercises and meditations.

too tight?? never heard that one before! wouldn't that means the muscles are good/trained well! did you do pelvic floor excercises? i think it takes time for excercises/massage to work...
    sounds like your doc is scaring you and preparing you for all sorts of interventions to me. you are being induced on your due date??

Yep too tight, i need to relax, the babys head will not be able to get through easily because of the pelvic floors not opening as easily, Its good to have tight muscles when your not pregnant or after preg but not during labour pretty much.

Yes being induced on my due date (as per my request)

ah. so how do you train them to relax?
    i spose thats what you are trying to find out huh.all i can see after googeling is trying to conciously relax them, warm baths twice daily, etc. what did your doc tell you to do?
    best wishes

Doc told me to do the perennium (spl?) massage..
    And my SIL told me to do squats.
    Ahh good idea i will google. thank god for google.
    Hmm baths thats a good idea.

mummy_in_training Guest

sorry to jump on y our thread, but are you with private health care? as I dont want to go past my due date, I want this baby out asap, and dont want to go past the due date? but I am not with private helath care? just wondering as I want to tell my doc asap, if I can do that, as i just want him out and I am only 34 weeks and 5 days, so waiting past my due date will just stress me out.

lotusmamma Guest

My pelvic floor is really strong and always has been. I had a small graze with my first birth but I would put that down to the dodgey laying down position I was asked to get in and the coached pushing rather than my body. It's really important during pregnancy to have a healthy pelvic floor and I have never heard of one being too strong for labour. If I were you I'd firstly just practice all the usual relaxation techniques during birth - visualisation, water, hypnotherapy, birthing in an environment where I feel safe and secure etc. but I'd also ask your doctor to give you further information about having a "too tight pelvic floor" and ask him to show you some evidence of this.

Also, what on earth is he giving you internals for? What benefit or feedback could that give you that you couldn't find out without them? Maybe you just weren't very relaxed when you were having an internal but you will be relaxed during labour. BTW, I think it's been established now through studies that perenial massage doesn't reduce the incidence of tearing but it can be helpful for women who aren't that comfortable with their bodies as a preparation for labour.