Thread: Pelvic Pain

Default Pelvic Pain

Hi guys - wow third tri finally!!! I am already having pain in my pelvis - i liken it to the pain in your groin you get after doing a two day horse trek when you haven't ridden for a year. I am assuming this is the loosening of the ligaments but i wasn't expecting it yet. I can get my self in a nuetral position sitting standing or lying down where it is bearable then when i go to change i feel like my pelvic bone is splitting apart.

Does anyone have an pearls of wisdom how to help ease this a little as i am really in pain with it.

Kellee Guest

Hi AJ. Sorry you're having pain - it does suck when that happens. I think most women get that kind of pain later in the pregnancy. I know I do - I just have to be really careful when I'm getting up or changing position. Hot baths help, but thenyou've got to make sure you've got someone home to help you out of the bath! If you're really worried about it, you should mention it to your GP - he might be able to recommend a good physio to help you out. I know that there are certain specific physical conditions that can cause that kind of pain (other than just the pressure bubs is putting on your body) so it's probably a good idea to rule that out too.

Sorry I'm not much help! Hope you find a solution soon.

Hi AJ

You have just described EXACTLY how I am feeling! First pregnancy I didn't get this pain till around 36 weeks but this time around it started around the 27-28 week mark like you. I have spoken to obst, docters and a physio and they all unfort say the same thing - it is the loosening of the ligaments and there is not a hell of a lot you can do about it.

You could try getting a pregnancy belt from a physio to wear, that helps a little bit but I found for me it is not that effective. Other recommendations I have been given are if you go swimming (as this does mildly relieve the pain) do not attempt breaststroke as it makes it worse, always when getting up from a lying position place both feet on the floor before getting up...umm am trying to think what else works? Some people recommend pillows in between legs when lying but I find that even tho this does support you it does not help the pain.

Sorry to sound so negative but I have tried everything and cannot get relief - if anyone else knows a cure I would also love to know!!!!!!

Good luck AJ!

Trust me guys it dosnt ease up it only gets worse! sorry...... Im at the the point i cant sleep anymore with it i can get comphy for about half an hour then i have to roll over to releive the pain. The doctor said its the pressure of the baby on hips and its very common and completely normal, I find when walking to force yourself to waddle it does seem to help it but after a while your back starts to ache try and keep your legs apart too especially when you sitting down and bend your knees more when standing and sitting.
    Well thats all i can suggest these are things that have helped me a little anyways.
    Have a great day guys.
    Mel

Irena Guest

Hi AJ

It sounds like SPD, whcih mean pelvic instability. I got it at 23 weeks and i just gets worse with time.
    You'll need to go to physo, basically they will give you a support belt that you have to wear all day and maybe night ( it lifts the belly up a little, takingt the pressure of your pelvic area) and do exercises as many times a day as possiable.

It really helps. Since having the belt, I'm felling 75% better during the day, but comes night time when I take the belt off I feel the pain again, but its better then ever before.

I hope this helps, Good luck.

AJ I've got pelvic instability too. What helps me is to try and keep your hips even. When you walk try not to swing your hips. Try and imagine keeping the two spiny parts of your pelvis at the back level.
    Here are some tips that may help.
    ~When you stand don't lean on one leg more than the other.
    ~If you have to get on the floor try to do so without kneeling on one knee and standing up. Use something to balance yourself (bed, couch, chair etc) and stand with both legs using even pressure. Sorry that one is hard to explain 8-[
    ~Sleep with a pillow between your knees.
    Get in and out of the car by putting you bum on the seat first then swinging your legs around. Get out in the opposite way, legs around first then stand up.
    Do pelvic floor excercises while laying down flattening your spine to the floor as this will strengthen the rectus abdominus muscles which support the join at the front of your pelvis.

Thanks girls all thats very helpful - if some a bit scary that it is only going to get worse!! I find the worst bit is the change of position- but will get there - i think that some of it after sammi's description may be my still favouring my knee after my reconstruction in august last year - will have to be more concious of not doing that anymore.

Thanks for all the great advice will try a few of the techniques to see if they ease it a bit before going for the belly belt...

I'd recommend going to your hospital physio - it may not end up helping you, but it's worth a shot. My hosp physio has been very helpful.
    I'm nearly 34 weeks and it WILL get worse before it gets better...however, it is supposed to disappear straight after birth. It gets worse because the baby gets heavier and puts more pressure on the pelvis.
    The best tip my physio gave me was this: Every movement you make, make it as if you are wearing a mini skirt with no nickers! It works, because like Sammi said, you need to keep your movements evenly weighted over both sides of your pelvis.
    Unfortunately, also, if you were planning to use squat positions for labour, maybe think about all fours instead, unless you're using water for the birth (water will take the pressure off the pelvis).
    Take small steps, avoid slopes and stairs and try not to pick up anything over 4kgs. Avoid vacuuming, too, if possible, especially if you don't use an upright cleaner. These are just some other tips I was given in a hospital brochure about SPD.
    My physio said that the exercises she gave me will help when I brace to make more strenuous movements and that I must remember to do these exercises and to brace, engaging the muscle she's shown me to isolate - this is because the sympyhis ligament is not like an elastic band, in that it doesn't contract when it's been stretched...and you want to stretch it as little as possible!
    Just bear in mind that if your physio does any deep tissue work around your glutes (mine were tight from compensating for the instability) it might feel quite painful the next day. This happened to me yesterday - I was almost in tears from the pain, but I had a nap in the arvo and a good night's sleep and today it's back to 'normal'. The deep tissue work just threw things around a bit temporarily.
    It never actually used to have a name and there was no idea about treating it in the past. Now it has a name but there's still only so much that can be done about it!
    My deepest commiserations that you have this condition Trust us, we know how you feel

thanks for the vots of support and confidence - am doing ok - trying not to sit for too long at a time - but still finding nights hard - got an appointment with a physio on wednesday so will see how we go - will keep you posted!!!

WOW AJ - Just wanted to say Hi!!! Only 10 weeks to go! YAY!!!

Thinking of you always!

Ellibam Guest

I had this when i was pg! and yes the moment you give birth its gone! but by that time you so used to walking oddly that you automatically do it!
    i found i was only able to sit with 1 leg under me(not good for spinal/pelvic allignment but it was the only way for me)

i guess its one of those things a few of us have to suffer(like m/s) during our pg's