thread: Plug Question - Alan??

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2006
    Queensland

Plug Question - Alan??

I started losing my plug 3weeks ago today, I lost a bit on the friday and a bit on the saturday and some the next day too I think, all would easily have sat on your palm with space to spare. I mentioned this at an appt (I'm seeing midwives but thsis appt was with the drs) she said that it will keep rejuvenating itself. I am sure this was plug back then not normal cm
    So now I have been losing sooo much what I have lost in the last 24hrs would fill up about 2specimen jars (please please don't think I'm keeping it somewhere...I'm not lol just imagining if i added it all up thats what it would feel) What do u think??

As far as my cervix goes pretty sure stuff is happening there. didn't know much about feeling ur own but found a thread and find it interesting so thought I'd give it a whirl. I hadn't been able to feel it at all and even got Phil to try feel it (he is tall and has long fingers etc..mine r tiny hands but he has size 12 feet and the long fingers to match) anyway so he wasn't able to feel then I think it was last sat he could feel it (not checking everyday so don't know if that was the first day it was able to be felt but maybe 2-3days before it couldn't be felt) then on the monday I had a feel and I could feel it, then tues had the internal at hosp and was 2cm dialated, central cervix, soft, 2cm long and I felt yesterday and i think it has become shorter. I can feel like the ring kinda thing, the opening and before it was obvious like could easily find it now its just noticable but only just obvious and if i hadn't felt it more obvious wouldnt really notice it now

What do u think? Is this amount of plug normal and do u think given this sudden onslaught that labour will commence pretty soon?? Would especially love ur opinion on this Alan..even though I know its only a guess!

Oct 2008

dumb question sorry...but when the time comes how do you know you are losing your plug?

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2006
    Queensland

Well lets just say when it comes like it has been there is absolutely NO denying it!!! It's like snot kinda stuff, jellyish big globs, can be yellowish or clear with white bits or blood streaked, pink tinged

Oct 2008

Oh ok so is losing your plug just your body getting ready for the baby to come? I don't know much about it Maybe I will learn about it at my Childbirth and parenting classes

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2006
    Queensland

Oh yea its like a little plug that protects everythign and when ur cervix starts to soften and opens enough for it to come out it often comes out can happen weeks or moments becofe labour

Platinum Member. Love a friend xxx

Jan 2008
    hoppers crossing

Whens this bubbs of urs gunna arrive jas?

Im not expert but it does sounds very promising

Oct 2008

Yes you do sound very close Jas! yay

Thanks for the info. So basically it is just like cervical Mucus but thicker and heavier?

BellyBelly Professional Support Panel

Nov 2005
    QLD

Hi Jass
    Your plug often looks like snot (sorry) often but not always with blood streaks in it and your plug dies regenerate. Being able to fill 2 specimen jars sounds like quite a lot so I suspect that what you are seeing is parts of your plug and some cm (cm increases late in pregnancy). Finding your cervix can be quite difficult especially if you are trying to find it for the first time. It should feel like a long tube or perhaps a little like a volcano. A soft cervix would feel a little like your ear lobe and a hard cervix a little like the tip of your nose. A normal cervix is around 5cm long.
    So now to answer your question.
    I think labour will start any day now. In fact I can tell you exactly when your baby will be born.
    It will be born on
    On
    Emm
    Its birthday

Sorrty I could not resist that

Nov 2005
    QLD

Hi Serenitylee
    Your plug is a blob of mucous that sits in your cervix. It helps to protect your baby from infection. When your cervis starts to soften/dilate your plug starts to come away. Not everyone notices when they lose the plug.

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2006
    Queensland

lol Alan,

I haven't had any blood just really globby snot stuff. Sometimes when I am wiping I can feel it kinda pull out from up there, like a bit of it was out and the rest comes out. It all sticks together in balls kinda think not spread out like cm.

yea cervix did feel like a volcano but is getting more and more flat feeling if that makes sense so does that sound like thinning?

Nov 2005
    QLD

I am sitting here reading your post and eating a sandwich. (Note to self: do not read posts when having lunch).
    Your volcano getting flatter makes perfect sense and yes it is thinning. Not too long to go now.

BellyBelly Member

Dec 2005

i was 2cm dilated at 7 days past due (with lots of cm similar to egg white), then at 10 days past due was 3cm dilated and had a blood tinge show. i was induced that day but i reckon i would have gone naturally that day or at least a couple days later. so i predict your baby to be born on the 26th april, :-)!!!!!!!

Platinum Member. Love a friend xxx

Jan 2008
    hoppers crossing

Sounds exciting jas.

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2006
    Queensland

lol Alan so sorry!!! You know what I know u probably been told it before but thanks for being so awesome and taking the time to answer my questions that I am sure you have answered a million times before!! And thatnks for being awesome and explaining the volcano and what a cervix is like way better than i could do for myself! You should move to Brisbane and be a mw here!!

I know the answers don't make the timing of me going into labour any different or me any more in the know but it just feels good to have ppl around u to share it with and honestly that information while I will happily share it on bb it's just not a typical convo starter for me! So thanks to all u lovely bb ers who r sharing this amazing wonderful exciting journey with me!!

Sep 2007
    Brisbane

Hi Jas

This is an interesting thread! I lost my plug about two weeks ago, and ever since have been getting about a teaspoon sized glob of yellowish EWCM (but thicker) every time I go to the loo. I found my cervix, and yeah it feels like a volcano. I stopped checking my cervix when I realised I could put my entire finger in there, move it from side to side, and feel something hard but slippery (babies head covered in the bag???). Yikes. I didn't want to introduce infection so stopped.

But I have been meaning on starting a thread about CM after loosing the plug but before labour starts. Good luck hun I hope it starts soon for you!