Thread: Is it possible

Default Is it possible

never to go into labour? Or not to go in time? I mean, is there some sort of condition where your hormones just don't react properly?

I'm not feeling impatient to get the baby out, but a couple of people have mentioned to me 'perhaps your body just can't do it'. I had two miscarriages, and in both cases my cervix didn't open up and let the baby out properly. I have been on hormones in order to support this pregnancy, and now I am overdue and (I thought I had been) but I haven't dilated or effaced at all. At my BPP scan yesterday the tech looked surprised and said my cervix was long, very closed etc. One of my aunts said she could never get her body to go into labour on its own either and that she was induced with all four of her babies.

Like I said, I don't feel like it's urgent for me to get the baby out, but when they say 'your body knows what it's doing' I feel like I have proof from experience that when it comes to pregnancy, my body doesn't have a clue I don't want to be induced. But I don't know when to start thinking that the risks for baby staying in are bigger than the risks of an induction and I'm looking for information. I mean, if I get into my 43rd week, what then? kwim? My OB doesn't want to let me go past 42 weeks (and this is a stretch for him).

Also, most of the things I can find on the net say that a lot of the time 'overdue' babies are really babies whose GA is wrong. But we are certain about dates because I was closely monitored in my first trimester. I had a dating scan at 8 weeks and measured 8 weeks. I tracked ovulation and it matches exactly to the scan. If I'm a week out then baby measured a week ahead at 7 weeks, I saw a heartbeat at 5 weeks, I had hcg of 6000 the day my period was due and 24000 at 5 weeks. I just don't think that's really possible. So I am actually overdue.

Last edited by Gabi; July 3rd, 2008 at 08:55 AM.

sorry I'm no help to you as I have never heard of someone just not going into labor ever... I guess its the old saying the baby will come when it ready or like you said at 42 weeks with the help from medical side, I guess the only thing is try not to worry to much about it... Like I said sorry I'm not much help at all...

Hope to see you back in a few days with news of your birth...

Gabi,

I can understand how you feel, this is my third bub and i have had to be induced with all mine.
    With this bub i have gone into labour only to have it stop. I have said that i feel like my body just cant get past a certain point. It needs a helping hand. While i have dilated slightly i have been booked in for another induction. For me it feels like my body doesnt know what to do.
    Like you i know my dates are spot on as we even have it marked on a calender etc.

I sometimes get upset that i have to be induced and not experience going into labour on my own and all the excitement fear etc that goes with it. But in the end i have healthy babies and thats whats most important, i grow them well , i just like to hold on to them longer then normal.

frazaled1971 Guest

i also think this may be true as i have 6 kids and been induced with 5 of them and after number 4 which i did go into labour on my own but only after a very long and painfull stretch and sweep because they were going to induce on the 29th of feb and the midwife thought that was not nice and it worked so with number 5 they said lets just wait you have done it once you can do it again well they let me go over due by 15 days then said ok enough is enough and induced me and when they broke my waters the doctor said this baby is very cumffy and in no hurry to go anywhere sure enough they had to but the drip in and sure enough once that was on she was born in 50 mins but so was so overdue that her skin was peeling off and her finger nails and toenails where very long.

Both my girls went over due. But they did come on their own.
    A friend of mine was due to have her little boy on June 6, but didn't have him til the 24th I think. She went just over 2 weeks. But she did go into labour naturally.

I remember the mw at our ante-natal class saying that sometimes women just won't go into spontaneous labour. However I have my doubts about this. Seeing as they insist on inducing women after 7, 10 etc days after EDD, how would they know whether she would have gone into labour? I think that more than likely all women (or very nearly all women) would go into labour if given the chance. There are a few examples here on BB (and that I know of IRL) where babies have been born healthy 12 and 14 days after EDD. Most women would be incuded prior to that point.

with DD and my first 18wk ultrasound i was told i had a long cervix, i didnt think much of it at all.. i went into labour fine and all went well.. this time around at the 18wk scan there was no mention if my cervix was long, so im confused somewhat.. surely the cervix cant shrink?! im sorry not being much help.. is there a possibilty that fear could be holding you back? im no dr or anything but u know how they talk about dilation stopping, labour stopping etc due to fear..
    i know its all too easy to suggest the normal stuff.. theres only so much curry and bumpy rides one can take i reckon!
    hope 2 hear some good news soon!!!

Gabi, also remember the "full term" is up to 42 weeks! Obs base it on 40 weeks, but really 42 weeks is still "term" not "overdue". I don't think you would go too much there, if at all hun.

I am not sure about the science of this. But i was born 3 weeks past my EDD and my mum had to be induced so didn't go into spontanious labour even after 43 weeks. I have heard of a women going up to 44 weeks and then went into spontanious labour. Some babies may just need a little longer to cook but modern doctors only let us get to around 10 days past. So who knows if they could have gone into labour even the next day, next week, etc.

Hi, I think it is possible not to go into labour. My first DD 16 was nearly 3 weeks overdue, my watres broke but labour did'nt start, she was posterior and I believe this had something to do with it. In duction had to happen before labour started.
    Same with DS 4 water broke but no labour, induction before anything happened another posterior baby.
    But with DD3 I had a show and went into labour a week or so later things prgessed nicely no back labour, so I think it can depend on position, I am hoping this time to go into natural labour, would be nice, but have to wait and see.

My oldest daughter was very skinny she had skin hanging everywhere, and very dry, it took months before she was back to where she should have been, I would definatley not recommend that you went to far overdue, especially when you are certain about dates, induction is preferrable to a skinny, dried out baby.

I was talking to another doula a while back who told me about a mum she was working with who was having a homebirth. She birthed a healthy baby at home at 44 weeks.

Yep you read that right. 44 weeks. Healthy baby.

Gaby what you were saying in your post about your missed miscarriages struck a cord with me too. I've had two missed m/c's as well, yet I went into spontaneous labour with my first baby at 36 weeks She too was born at a good weight, normal and healthy.

I just think we need to have a bit more faith in ourselves and our babies. Babies DO come out eventually. They do! And even quite "overdue" ones, the vast, vast majority of the time come out just fine.