Thread: posterior

Default posterior

Anyone got any tips for turning baby from a posterior position? My Ob wasn't too concerned. The only thing she said i could do was spend some time on all-fours during labour if baby hasn't repositioned itself by then.
    Anyone got any other suggestions?
    Thanks!

Last edited by LG; November 12th, 2007 at 12:57 PM.

Enchanted Guest

What I was told to do was when sitting to sit with my legs spread and lean forward, also to get on all fours so bubs had plenty of room to move/turn around hopefully! I have found a great website about this. PM me if you would like the link

Just a tip- the legs open and sitting forward is a great position for labour as it opens up your pelvis more and lets bubs come down as he/she has more room!
    Last edited by Enchanted; November 12th, 2007 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Added comment

I'd try getting down on all fours as much as possible now, befoe labour starts. If my mate can turn a twin with no room at all, hopefully you can do the same. good luck.

Also try sitting on a fit ball leaning forward. I agree on hands and knees is good for turning. Also try leaning forward over benches etc. Thats about all I can offer, sorry hon

If you go into labour with bubba still posterior, all fours is a good position. I found with 2 of my boys, standing up and leaning over the bed to deliver helped them past my pubic bone along with gravity. Good Luck!!

HI, I just bought a bean bag so that I can spend some time each day lying forward. I'd start doing it now rather than waiting til labour though. Goodluck, not long to go for you, how exciting!

I agree with the others. Spend all the time you have between now and labour leaning forward, as opposed to realxing back. Keep your feet off things eg tables, chairs so they are lowered and do not lie back on a recliner or couch. Crawl around the house (strange I know) on all fours as long as you can each day. I don't know if websites can be mentioned here, but midwives told us to look at spinningbabies.com to see how to position yourself to help turn bubs. Also sleep on your left side, not right.

Great Thanks for all of that - i shall def spend lots of time leaning forward with legs spread (better make sure i have some trousers on LOL!).
    I tried crawling around the house which DH thought was hilarious, and DS thought was great fun riding the 'horsey'! Horsey rides every day now for my little DS
    I also read that laying on the tummy with lots of pillows could help, but i can't imagine being comfortable with that?! I don't want to squash anyone!

Check our www.spinningbabies.com -there are some excellent tips and exercises for getting bubs into a more favourable position. My last two babies were both posterior and this time round, having the benefit of hindsight I did everything I could to get him to turn. It didn't work for me as I think his size may have prevented him from turning easily and staying there kwim? I did have moderate success with Bowen therapy and I think had he been a smaller bub he would have stayed LOA instead of moving back to OP. Mind you this is only my theory on why he didn't turn.

Anyway, with the pillows, get all the pillows you can find and make yourself a 'nest' and lay over the top of it and put your belly in the middle - it really is comfortable to lay like that. Or alternatively you can get yourself a rubber inner tube from a car tyre and put your belly in that (spinning babies recommends a pool floaty ring but there was no way known my heaving bump would fit in one LOL).

If you can't get bubs to turn before labour there are things you can do during the labour to help baby move too - there is information about these techniques on spinning babies - so you don't have to spend the entire labour on your hands and knees. Even then if bubs does not turn it is possible to birth a posterior baby vaginally without the use of instruments - sometimes they will turn during the pushing stage and sometimes they wont - but it can be done. Good luck