Thread: Is this pre-labour?

Renaee Guest

Default Is this pre-labour?

hi all,

My due date is tomorrow and last night I was literally having to get out of bed pretty much every half hour to get some relief from some very strong period like pain down in my pelvic area.

I get up and sit on the toilet just to kind of release everything, but don't always need to wee. I had the same thing the previous night as well, just not as strong.

The thing is, once day time rolls round it stops. I managed to get some continuous sleep from 7.30 am til about now, (10am just got up). And now the pain is not there at all.

Why does it have to happen at night!! Cause is so exhausting, I think I almost fell asleep on the toilet a coulpe of times last night.

So wondering if this is a sign that labour will start soon - I have had no 'show' or any other symptoms. I wonder if these 'period pains' are the braxton hicks, or are they more like mild contractions? I guess it is possible that this could go on for quite a while yet?

Any opinions/advice welcome....

Taia's Mum Guest

Hi Renaee,

I was told to feel my tummy when the pain started as BH tend to make your tummy tighten up. But I'd call your OB/Midwife/Hospital and they will tell you for sure! The toilet issue sounds like bubs is sitting very low!

Goodluck! Let me know how it goes!!

Contractions do feel like period pain. Braxton Hicks don't for me, though they can be uncomfortable, even painful. It sounds like prelabour to me. I would expect that one night pretty soon they will just become more intense or keep going thoughout the day and you will have your little baby in your arms! Good luck!

Hi Renaee

I'm getting exactly the same thing although I'm not due until the 20th. It's extremely uncomfortable. My husband and are starting to wonder if our baby will be along a little earlier.

Sounds like pre-labour to me!!

Renaee Guest

Thanks Gals,

I have not had any more pains all day - barely a twinge, wondering if it will start up again tonight. I just had a shiatsu massage and some acupuncture which has made me feel really good - very energising and good to get out of the house!

I hope it does start again tonight then continue on to real labour - I am just so ready for it to happen now - will keep you posted!

Cheers - Renaee.

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

Renaee, I had 3 days of pre labour like that through the night, and then on the third night the real contractions hit with a force. I sounds really really similar to mine and they started the day after my due date, so goodluck, hopefully you are holding bubs very soon!

i wouldnt worry to much i have been having them as well this is baby number two for me and i never had bh with my first so when i have them with this one it is so uncomfy just breath through them and make sure you can still feel your baby moving after them go straight to the hospital if the baby movements slow down or stop. i was 9 days over with number one so u may have a while yet good luck think positive and stay focussed you may go any time .

Renaee, I had a few days of that and now it's pretty continual, I get maybe an hour or two off a day. The good news is that you get so used to the pain you can sleep through it eventually. OK, so I do still wake up 3-4 times a night with this, but I can get back to sleep at least.

Do be prepared for this to last up to three weeks: mine were on-off since late Jan (around the 25th I think) then on the 1st became a lot stronger and are just slowly increasing now. Yes, it's a bummer, but at least you're getting prepared!

Yep its a pain in the bum really. I had them on/off for a few weeks. Mine would always be as I was relaxing in the evenings and then stop after I would have a hot shower (to ease the discomfort). If after a hot shower they stop, you know that they are BH's and nothing else. For me if they started earlier in the day I would do encouraging natural inducements to help kick start labour, but if they happened after 7pm I would try to get to sleep.

With Jovie I didn't even realise I was in labour because I thought it was the same thing as before, it just got more and more intense & when I couldn't lay down anymore I knew

Renaee Guest

Ryn - have been following your journey in the belly buddies forum as well - 3 weeks of this!! I hope not! Anyway as I am due tomorrow and the longest they would let it go on for would be 2 weeks then I am looking at an induction which I desperately want to avoid.

But like you I am prepared for a week or two of this if need be, and hopefully this would make for a gentle birth - you must be hoping for that too after all you have been through. - best of luck! - it must be going to happen very soon.

Relle - I hope you are right, and that I will go after just 3-4 nights of this like you did. Isn't it strange how it only seems to happen at night?

Waiting to see what happens tonight...
    Last edited by Renaee; February 6th, 2007 at 06:09 PM. Reason: addressed post to wrong person

I had 4 induction acupuncture treatments & everytime my contractions increased for a few hours. But Jovie obviously wasn't read because they stopped. I also had an induction massage & the second one happened the day I went into labour

Renaee, I'm just hoping for a birth right now! I've given up caring about the pain levels. Pop in and chat to us in the belly buddies - we're starting to lose people now! It would be great to chat pre-baby with you.