Thread: Pre- washing Baby Clothes

Scarlett Guest

Default Pre- washing Baby Clothes

I have had a couple of friends mention to me that you should wash baby clothes before you use them. As this had not occurred to me I wonder if people have some advice on whether or not to do so.

Also, if you do need to and have a front loading washing maching, does anyone know what sort of detergent to use as you can't use LUX flakes and I'm not sure what to try.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Scarlett,

I never washed an of my baby clothes before Kimberley wore them but will have to do it this time as they have been on boxes. But new stuff i would not worry.
    I know a lot of people do.

For a front loading machine i just buy any powder that you can use in a front loading machine.

Hi Scarlett

It is advised to wash them before use in warm water as alot are made by machines and can have a fine layer of oil over them that you don't notice and it may cause irration to the babies skin. Also washing them first helps to soften them up.

Love

Scarlett, I have washed all baby's clothes & sheets & stuff - I don't know if it's necessary, but I did it just in case. I used that new Omo Sensitive, it comes in a liquid and a powder, not sure if you can use it in front loaders though, or if maybe there's a front loader version??

I think there is also Amolin that you can also use for a front loader

Love

I know someone posted a while back that they had called and asked the Omo careline about using sensitive in a frontloader. I think the answer was that yes you can, but you may have to dissolve it first or something??
    Would probably be best to call the careline, as I cant remember what the post said!!

Hi Ellen

It is best to use something for sensitive skin like lux flakes as normal detergents can be a bit harsh for a newborns skin.

Love

Pietta Guest

I washed all mine in Lux so i am not a great help, but i agree with Kathryn in that softening them makes them so much more comfortbale looking on the bubba!

I have super sensitive skin & can only use Spree, so I have used that for all of bub's clothes as well.

Scarlett Guest

Thanks for all your advice, think I will try the care line.

scarlett don't know if you are still interested in suggestions but here's my 2 cents worth as well. i always hand wash all my bubba clothes and i use beals baby soap. they do not make that sort of soap any more mr. beal's died and took his recepie with him [email protected]@%D. i have the last cake in the world that i save from 7 years ago!!!! when it runs out though i would just use a baby soap.

good luck and have fun washing all those midget clothes
    beckles