Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pregnant and driving...

Default Pregnant and driving...

Hi Girls ,

.. When ( if at all ) did you stop driving in your pregnancy ? My belly is getting closer and closer to the steering wheel and I was thinking of giving driving up next week ( 37wks ).. but then I thought maybe its not necassary ?? Did any of you drive right up to the end?

Thanks!

Yep, I drove right until the end and I acutally had to put the seat back a bit and raise the steering wheel I was so big. I did get uncomfortable driving for long periods because the baby's bum was right up under my ribs and I would get sore. Just make sure you are sitting up straight and not slouching and you should be fine.

Sal Guest

I stopped driving about 36w, not because I couldn't fit behind the wheel, but was terrified of being in a crash or going into labour whilst driving (hehehe now I've had bubs I see how silly the latter fear was )

I drove right up to, and including the day I gave birth!

I drove up to 3 days before i gave birth and i was overdue. I actualy did my driving test 3 weeks before i was due. All i had to do was move the seat a little. Oh and i always sat on a towel, just in case my waters broke, because the fluid can ruin material.

DoubleK Guest

i decided at 36 weeks i was going to stop driving, but i still drive down to safeway every now and then, its only about 1km from home, and i had to wind the seat right up so i was sitting up nice and straight.

my doctor is 30km's away from home, so for the past 3-4 weeks my mum has been picking me up on a sunday night, taking me to doc's on monday mornings then driving me back home....
    Now that i am a day overdue, i dont think i will keep driving, im too scared of going into labour and maybe causing an accident, oh and i also can't turn around to do any reversing whatsoever, so if i need to park, i have to find one to drive straight thru!

Rach

littlerigger Guest

Enigma - I'm still driving now at 37 weeks. The only problem I have at the moment is turning around to looks backwards when reversing. Maybe as I get closer I'll give up cause turning may get harder but until then Unless your concerned about how close you are to the wheel (can you adjust it) or concerned about your lack of mobility in the car to check blind spots etc, I'd keep driving.

Yep I kept driving right up until the end. I actually drove to the supermarket and did my grocery shopping when I was having contractions (although I didn't think they were contractions)

I'm on my L-plates, hoping to get my licence in the next few weeks....but I drove my Mum & I to the shopping centre on her birthday which was Maddy's due date. So basically, I was still driving 3 days before Maddy was born. I just put the seat back a little further so my belly wasn't pressed up against the steering wheel.

Enigma I have driven right up to the day of birth with each baby, probably would have driven to hospital too, but hubby was with me and we all know who drives when the two of you go somewhere, lol.

ROFL, Dee!! Yep I drove right up until the day I was in labour. I needed to for all that shopping!!

I was driving up until 38 weeks with Ryan, but this time, my dr has banned me from driving at all until i stop all of my fainting episodes

Yeah I am still driving and I am 39 weeks. My gyno is 54kms away and I drive to my appts no probs at all. People have said I shouldn't but hey Ihave my mobile on me. Its all good in my eyes.

I drove right up to the end with both my pregnancies and I probably will this time too. It never occured to me to stop, but I live close to my hospital and I have family close by so it's not a problem in that sense. I am not worried about suddenly going into labour or my waters breaking when driving, I know with me how unlikely that is!

I drove up until the end too... my belly didn't get near the steering wheel so I didn't notice too much. I think I actually drove myself to the hospital to be induced LOL

I drove right up until the end as well and like Christy I didn't even notice the belly. Though I did notice that when turning around to check blind spots etc I had to be a little more careful!

I drove right to the end (in fact I was in labour and driving around - but who knew??). I had to move the wheel up around 35 weeks, but I always sit upright anyway so that wasn't an issue.

I do not adivse however a really old car - we have an EH holden (40 years old) and DH insisted on driving it the day I went into labour. It was really bumpy, not supportive and definitely not smooth. I didn't want to get in it and it was SO uncomfortable that when I had Darcy I told him the next time I said "No" I meant "no"!

Silvi Guest

I'm still driving at 31wks..and hope to be driving right up to about 38..or when I can't touch the pedals no more...cause of the size of my belly...lol...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast