Thread: Psychological effects

Akeesha Guest

Default Psychological effects

How many of you believe the power of the mind plays a huge part in our lives?

What I mean by that is...how many of you believe we can control things (for want of a better word) in our pg/labour etc just by our thinking.

For instance, i know that it's fact that if we are negative during labour we can stuff things up there and the progress of it.

But who here believes that we can even assist the process of birthing along before it begins? Affect the process in a good or bad way. I mean I do beleive that while we may not be abel to control the actual date of the baby I do believe that if we are positive then we can certainly help things along. And alternatively, if we are negative then we can slow things right down. I dont mean just generally having a good or bad day..i mean really focusing on one or the other. Like, "omg i am never going to go natural" then it could really stuff it. iykwim And alwyas thinking that way,

Maybe I am being naieve but I dont see how it hurts to think that postivity helps.

Anyway, just curious hehe.

Lisa

I do believe in positive thinking, and Im sure it could help, depending how much time you give to it!! I know for me I told myself I'd be early and even changed my date that I told people, and I was 8 days early!!
    I think positive affirmations are important as well.
    during my labour I actually talked to myself and said things like "you can do it", "this will not last long" "the pain is only short term" etc, and I was really aware of calming myself down. Totally unlike my first birth! I think it really helped talking myself through it (all silently) and being positive about it! xo

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Definitely believe in it!!! One thing thought, if we're talking psychologically for a moment, there can be 'wildcards' that come into play in labour. These are deep seated issues that can effect the way labour progresses and folds out without us knowing about it. For example, a past history of abuse, not wanting a baby on a specific due date, not wanting a specific gender, death of a relative, relationship issues with your mother, your partner - for example one story my birth teacher told us about was a couple who fell pregnant by surprise. It was her first bub, but his third or so, and he basically told her to choose the bub or the relationship. Of course she chose the bub, thinking it would 'fix' the relationship. He said he would be there for her at the birth but that was all, and to make matters worse, his young daughter wanted to be there too - so doesn't set up a good scene for a straightforward labour!

Anyways, labour went beautifully until second stage (pushing) and everything stopped. She couldn't push, didn't want to push and after some time of waiting and Obs hovering, my teacher who attended the birth asked her what was going on. She said she couldn't push out the baby, and even after much words and encouragement by my teacher, she still couldn't. So Ob comes in, gets the forceps out ready to do a forceps birth and mum freaked out about that so much that baby shot out real quick (ejection reflex) so forceps weren't needed. This can happen sometimes - it's a natural flight or fight reflex. Just get the Ob to jiggle the forceps LOL

After the birth, my teacher spoke to her and asked her what had gone on in her mind, and she said something along the lines of, 'I knew it was the 'moment of truth'. As soon as that baby was out, I would have my answer if he was going to go or stay. But as it turns out, I am fine without him, this baby has completed me.' Mum now lives happily as a single mum with her bub.

Powerful stuff. So it's worth having a good think about where you stand and if there are any wildcards that you think may come up in labour - it's great to address them before if you can pin point it.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

You can achieve almost anything if you believe

Bec Guest

I think you can if you are positive. I beleive labour/birth is a posititive experience. Allthough it is painfull you have to focus on the good that is at the end.

I am going to get myself a cd and book on Hypnobirthing to help me throught it in May when it happens.

Have you looked into hypnobirthing? there is a cd by an australian woman called Tania Cotterell and a book by an American woman.

Good luck

Bec

Hey there Lisa

Ironically as crazy as I may seem at certain times (you know what I'm like from Jan thread ) - I truely believe in the power of positive thinking and also the power of deep breathing - sometimes you just need to step outside of what is happening and look at it from a different perspective (I imagine this can be very difficult whilst in the middle of giving birth) but at the end of the day - if you say you can do this chances are you can do it.

Lisa - I have great faith in you and truely believe that you can set out to achieve your long term birth plan - however at the end of the day, a healthy result is what you are obviously aiming for.

hugs

Di xxx

Yep I believe in it. I used it when I was in labour with Nicholas and I think it helped.

Akeesha Guest

Hey guys,

Thanks heaps for your replies. I posted this same question on another parenting forum I go on and was a bit shocked with the replies. Alot dont beleive that the positivity can have an affect before labour....but they believe it can happen in laabour.

Personally I am a big believer in focused positive thinking and I believe if you focus on the intent then you can create ANYTHING to happen for you.

Before, during and after labour and in fact with any aspect of your life.

I find it funny how some are adamant that your mental state can affect your labour but it cant possibly have an effect before that. How do they come to that conclusion??

Anyway you guys are all believers like me so thats great and does help me be a little more positive while I feel fragile hehe. (though I understand each to their own too )

Bec - I have indeed looked into hynobirthing and calmbirthing and have been practising the techniques for a while. I also have done meditation for years so have that whole concept formed in my head anyway. I have some great cd's for the calmbirthing and alos loads of stuff I have read. It's been great. I also work with aromatherapy as well which helps.

Kelly - I totally understand what you are saying re the wildcard effects in labour. I had thought that and figured well, I will just have to go with the flow when the time comes. I can only hope and remain focused that the work i have done these past few months is going to be my strongest attribute and no fear will creep in.

I am also finding that the past few days I am very emotional and negative because of that emotion so I am trying to be much more positive. I have to tell myself that I am not going to be stupidly overdue and that things are going to go well. The acu is benefiting me so I know thats only working in my favour.

Thanks again : )

Lisa

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Lisa, when in doubt consult your ticker... which says on the very first line "Our baby is coming"
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.