Thread: Raised GCT result

catherine Guest

Default Raised GCT result

I've just found out that my glucose levels were high with the first test so now I have to go for the 2 hour test with fasting etc. Does this mean that I am likely to have gestational diabetes or could my second test be normal?

Hi Catherine,
    It does mean that your chances of having GDD are higher - but certainly not a given.
    The good news is that if you do have GDD you will be given the care that you need. You will be taught to monitor your bsl's (blood sugar levels) and given dietary advice to maintain a good level. You will be closely monitored.
    I wish you all the best with your test - let us all know how you go. :hugs:

Hi Catherine
    It is not unusual for the first test to be a little and the second test to come back normal. Just because the first test was high does not mean that you have or that you will develope gestational diabetes

I know a few people who had to go back and repeat the 2 hour test, and they ended up being fine.
    Think back to the day you did the first one. Apparently if you ate food high in fat and sugar on the day, that could have elevated your results.
    Try not to worry too much until you get the next set of results done.
    Good luck

My GCT was raised, but the GTT was fine & I didn't develop GD so it is possible.

Good luck

My first test come back very high, then i done the 2 hour test and it came back with in normal range. Most of the time the 2nd one gives a better reading and you are in the clear.

Goodluck all the same

I'm another with a through the roof GCT and normal GTT. Good luck hon. Follow the diet and don't stress. If it is GD, like Deb said, the education's really good and followup too.

Ditto for me - high GCT but normal GTT. Apparently it's reasonably common so try not to worry too much.

catherine Guest

Thanks ladies, feel a bit better about it now. Had the second test done this morning, so fingers crossed. Rewarding myself for not spewing after the green sugar drink with an afternoon in bed with my laptop (??!!) and NW!

Glad to hear you made it through the dreaded "drink"!
    I look forward to hearing your results. I have everything crossed for you that it is the result we want!

When I was pregnant with Grace my GCT was borderline but the GTT came back completely normal.
    Is it just me, I quite like the drink especially now it is fizzy!! Don't normally have a sweet tooth. Maybe it's pregnancy brain!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

I have to go back tomorrow for the GTT test. My GCT came back high!

I just have to have two blood tests though (one before the drink, and one two hours later) as I'm a bad bleeder.

Good luck too both of us!