Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: rash could be liver problem

Default rash could be liver problem

Some of you know about my severe rash under both arm pits, well it hasn't gone away so have had it for about three weeks now maybe more cant remember.

Its the most itchiest rash I have ever had but the rash is not bump. And it flakes off with skin from scratching so badly. Its red raw. And it goes like sand paper.

I read about differnet rashes in pregnancy and one of them was a liver problem.

Its called intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy, a liver problem.

When bile doesn't flow normally in the small ducts of your liver, bile salts accumulate in your skin and make you itch all over. The itching can be quite intense. The condition itself doesn't cause a rash, but you may end up with red, irritated skin with little cuts in areas where you're scratching a lot.

That describes myn so now I am packing it. Wont see midwives till next thursday and my gp's are dumb when it comes to pregnancy.

It most likley isnt it but one does panic when it sounds so simliiar.

Oh yeah, my point of this is -has anyone ever had this type of rash and it was a liver problem?

Soul,
    When I was pregnant with James... I had a very similar rash to what you're describing. I thought I may have been allergic to my deodorant, but it turned out to be a form of Thrush under my arms. Very uncomfortable... I have never had anything like it since thankfully.
    It could be something as simple as this.. please don't worry yourself too much, but make sure you get it checked out
    Lisa

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

I had it but not under my arms .. and not exactly a rash but all over itching . I would call Mw at hospital if you are unsure and ask them to organsie to do a bloodtest ... it will tell them simply if you have raised liver function levels.

Goodluck I ended up having my boys earlier because of it but problem went away right after birth.

oh thank you so much guys,thank you for replying.

I noticed that you can't actually see the rash unless I have been scratching at it endlessley which is mostly at nighttime for some reason. omg is it bad it actually keeps me awake for hours. Its spread everywhere under my arms and cause of scratching at it its very red. No bumps or anything its just flat but feels so sand papery.

My mate had that liver problem when she was pregnant with her twins, and she was itchy all over and they had to induce her straight away cause its quite serious. If you are concerned you have this then i would go and get it checked out straight away better to be safe than sorry.
    Also thats the worst thing you could do is look up symptoms on the internet, it usally will bring up the worst thign first lol.

Soul, cholestasis is a gall bladder/liver prblem that is really quite serious. Ring your midwife if that's what you think it is.
    Hope you're feeling better soon and you get some answers.

Yes I posted a couple of weeks ago about the same thing. I had a bile salt test done and the result was elevated, I was inducted at 38 weeks because the level wasn't quite high enough to officially be cholestasis (yet) but was enough to make me itchy. Otherwise I would have been induced earlier. Liver Function tests (LFTs) can also be done but these may or may not show the problem - its the bile salt test that's the real test.

Cholestasis doesn't cause any rashes. All you might see is inflamed/red/bleeding skin from scratching too much. If you're extremely itchy all over its worth getting it checked out, and I would call the midwife now rather than wait.

Generally the itching is worse at night with cholestasis. It occurs in about 1 in 100 pregnancies.

Note this is quite different to the usual itching belly. Its all-over type itching, and bad.

Hi Soul,
    As jja says i concur totally. I had cholestasis of pregnancy with both and it complicates things enormously however i had no rashes. lots of scratches because you cant stop scratching all over but especially abdominaly(like a puppy with fleas)it is unbearable.
    Still i'd have your tests done asap. It sounds s lot to me like a skin allergy maybe switch to low allergy wash powder and use sorbolene soap and moisturiser. HTH.
    Pauline

aw thank ladies so much information. My daughter pointed out this morning that I look "Yellow" around my eyes, yes 'Yellow" lol. Is that jaundice like babies get, how imbarersing to ask. I might ring my midwide and just ask her what it could be. Will do this when hubbie gets gome from taking son to get guitar strings, cant talk on phone with three young ones just impossible.

Does the yellowness have anything to do with the rash you think, I know it sounds stupid.

If I dont scratch, there is no color to the rash just skin color but of course I scratch so much under the arms it red most of the time and all the skin is broken and it looks quite gross.

Anyway your all just simply wonderful and I am taking in everything each one of you have said.

Melinda Guest

If you are yellow-ish, then it is highly like that you have Obstetric Cholestasis (OC).

Definitetly speak to your MW asap.

Melinda Guest

I should add, it was suspected that I had this, but I didn't as it continued beyond PG. But the itch was exactly as you described (was all over my body except my face) but no rash, and was worse at night time without exception (and in the shower!)

If the whites of your eyes look yellow get to the dtr, i would go straight in and get that checked out. How long do you have left in ur pregnancy???

forget that last bit i just had a look hehe. Its a bit concerning concidering your only 28 weeks. Hopefully its not, but better to get it checked out.

Melinda Guest

Just wanted to say never to feel stupid about asking questions - either here, or your MW/OB. That's what they (and us!) are there for.

I know how bad my itch was and I was scratching the skin red raw and would wake up with blood on my clothes. It kept me awake most of the night and doing things that I would normally find relaxing, e.g. bath/shower were equally as bad. It nearly drove me insane.

Let us know how you get on won't you?

i know theres a couple of people on here who've had this condition, one being Bathsheba...

Soul, hope you're ok hun, let us know how you go??

I go to doc's tomorrow. I was just thinking yesterday, that I drink so much all day, like 10 glasses or more of drink, I am constantly thirsty so bad and yet..............I may only pee two to three times a day. Now that cant be normal for the amount I am drinking! Might add to the list of what to tell doc tomorrow.

Melinda oh thank you sweetness your right!

Thanks girls, feeling somewhat a little more relaxed about it now.

do what i used to do soul - write everything down. That way you wont forget any questions you want to ask...

Soul(hunny)
    Please make sure you make that appointment at the doctors. Don't skip it or be late. The symptoms you are describing do really indicate cholestasis. It sounds though that you didnt have it with other pregnancies;sometimes this can happen as we get older that there is a higher risk of complications. That is why these things , just like gd can develop. Depending on how bad your alp and alt levels are you may require strict monitoring. I had it with both pregnancies and i had a yellowy cast to my skin.Both of my kids were induced early because of this as well as gd and the first child scenario wasnt so great but my second child suffered no ill effects at all. Good birth weight and no jaundice and no other problems and i bought her home the day after i had her. Whats more the next day my levels had all returned to normal and the itching was gone. YEEEAAAHHAAAA. Stay strong girl , i know the itching is driving you insane. Make sure you keep your nails short so that you cant do yourself any damage and remember rub,rub,rub. No scratchies. I really hope everything goes well at the doctors and that you don't have the cholestasis.Fingers crossed. Take care and let us know how you get on.All the very best.

Pauline

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast