Thread: Reflexology

Default Reflexology

Has anyone had, or is having any reflexology done prior to the birth of their baby? What was it for and how did it go?

Sorry- I haven't but a midwife told me it was good to turn a breech baby!

As far as I'm aware, it uses the same pressure points as acupuncture, but without needles. (I haven't seen a practitioner who specifically focuses on reflexology but my massage therapist uses it as a technique).

There is a pressure point just around the ankle bone which can induce uterine contractions (which is why someone doing preggi massages will avoid heavy pressure around that area), as well as a pressure point on the little toe which is supposed to be good for turning babies. It's referenced on the spinning babies website if you want to know more about it!

Years ago, when I had an ectopic (I nearly collapsed at work and had to have an ambulance called), one of my colleagues who had studied reflexology was with me waiting for the ambulance, and was able to tell that it was either uterine or ovarian just by massaging my feet. I was astounded when I found out what it actually was (I hadn't known I was pregnant).

ive been having almost weekly reflexology since early pregnancy. just had a one hour session today. i havent been having it for any particular reason other than relaxation. i havent had any side effects from it ie extra uterine contractions just lots of relaxation! i have found it so relaxing.

Beccas, I would have loved to have weekly sessions but have only been able to see my massage therapist monthly. I bet you feel wonderful today!!

I can't wait to give it a go...one of DH's clients has a reflexology practice so hopefully she'll give a discount! I think the weekly sessions would be brilliant.