Thread: Right rib and shoulder pain

Exclamation Right rib and shoulder pain

Hi everyone,

I have been experiencing some massive pains in my right shoulder / neck, which comes on while I'm also experiencing a constant ache in the right side under my ribs. No position I sit or lay makes it feel any better - it wakes me up through the night and I'm getting nearly no sleep.

Can anyone give me some advice as to what is causing this and how I can divert the pain?? Please, I'm desparate!

Hi Leesa
    A couple of questions before i can give you some advice if you don't mind
    Is the pain sharp or achey
    Is the pain all over your shoulder or just in one spot?
    Do you have itchy skin?
    Are the whites of your eyes still white?
    Do you feel sick?

Hi Leesa,

I had really really bad rib pains, and pelvic pains at the end of my first trimester. IAt the start of my second trimester, I went for pregnancy shiatsu massage and it made me feel like my pre-pregnancy self!
    I cant recommend it enough!! I've not had any rib pains since. I still get pelvic pains but each massage I go for really helps. It makes a whole world of difference and I sleep really well.

Make sure you get a certified pregnancy therapist, shiatsu or remedial.
    I found mine at naturaltherapypages dot com dot au. I just had a look at there;s a few in Adelaide.

Good luck hun!

I would describe the pain as achy and contained to my right shoulder blade - and along the right side of my neck. I've had two visits with the physio and I seemed to be getting rid of the shoulder pain - but as soon as the rib pain came back (as it did this morning) so did all the pain in my shoulder & neck...

The whites of my eyes are still white and I have been sick twice this morning, but I put that down to not eating yet (ran out of bread but DP is on his way to buy some as we type!)...Lately I've needed to eat in the morning by 8am or so, but he really needed a sleep in - and my rib pain was too intense to go to the shops...

No itchiness to the skin...

What are your thoughts Alan? Please help!

It is a combination of a couple of things but basicaly it is related to your growing tummy
    This can cause you to sleep in a position that is causing tou some muscle strain
    When standing/walking/sitting your center of ballance is off so you hold yourself in a poor position this again puts strain on your muscles and ligaments

To help relieve this you could ty the following
    Massage
    Hot pack
    TENS machine if you have one
    Chiro

The reasion I nneded more info is that some liver problems can present as shoulder pains. Don't worry you do not have any liver problems, your answers ruled this out. You have muscle/ligament strain

oops rib pain
    Probably part of the above and the position of the baby

Ooo, good post thanks. I have a similar pain in my back, by the left shoulder blade. and often have pain/discomfort around by ribs on the left (front).

Leesa I recently switched to a kneel-sit chair and the back pain has been much better.
    Last edited by onthefly; January 8th, 2008 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Can't tell left from right

Thank you Alan, Marcellus, Prama and Carley - sounds like some ongoing massage is on the cards!

No worries. All the best!! Let us know how you go!

I just went to my osteopath yesterday for the same thing. He had to work alot on my shoulder because of ligament pains in the muscle, but also cracked my back and neck. He said my ribs were out again, ahhh the joys of pregnany, so I was quick to book in another appointment with him for two weeks time because I think I will be needing it. He said alot of his pregnant clients see him more frequently in the last 10 weeks because of the pressure of the baby on the spine and it puts alot of things out of wack.

Turns out the pains were signs of pre-eclampsia - hence the surprise arrival of Maddy at 31 weeks...

So as a lesson, if you think something is still wrong after seeing your GP - go and see another GP for another opinion. Had I have not - Maddy and I could have died...

~Belinda~ Guest

Congratulations on the birth of your little girl. We also have a Madeleine (but spelt differently to yours). We were tossing up Madeleine and Ruby too! She's Madeleine May...