Thread: Right side back pain :-(

Default Right side back pain :-(

hey all,

Since this morning Ive had really bad back pain , it seems to be around or under my ribcage on the right hand side.. I cant cough or laugh or even blow my nose because it hurts grrr... is this another joy of pregnancy or should I be concerned?? Anyone else have this??

Hi, I'm not sure at all but do you think it may be your kidneys?? or is it definitely your back??
    I know I would get achy kidneys if I didn't drink enough water....if you think it may be that just try and drink at least 1L of water to completely flush your system.

I'm not sure if it's labour related as I never had that type of pain....

You don't think it's bubs sitting up or pushing up into your rib cage? I know that sometimes my ribs/back aches because of that.

I have been in & out of hospital with high BP and was told to let them know of any sharp pains on the right hand side where you have described because of liver issues. Not sure whether that is just because my BP is high or just in general and I don't want to be the cause of you freaking out either! Maybe just ring your midwives to ease your mind! They really don't mind answering any questions!

Thanks girls
    I called the midwives last night and they told me to take some panadol and call back if the pain doesnt go away , still here this morning.. :-/ i slept in one position all night coz I couldnt turn over - So now I dont know if I should call them again , I know its better to be safe than sorry but I feel like im over-paranoid , there are woman calling up who have started labour , and im calling in with back rib pain.. grrr.. stress stress stress

Thanks again for the advice! I'll keep u updated

Enigma - call!!! Honestly the midwives at my hospital are just absolute dears and very very insisted that I call should I think ANY thing is wrong. If it hasn't eased over the night just ring - they may see you and tell you that it's just the position of bubs! But at least that would ease your mind a bit.

Let us know!

Yep.ou should definitely call!! Better to be safe than sorry and MUCH better to have your mind at rest

Call them Enigma! They won't mind at all and at least it will ease your mind as well - are you far from the hospital cause you could also just pop in and get checked out.

called them again , and was told its probably just pain related to the cold that ive got.. hmm .. then the midwife suggested i should go see my gp if im worried , problem is i dont have a gp , so now i need to go find some random doctor grrrr...like i said in the June buddies forum , they were really busy at the hospital and I think that just didnt think that my symptoms were serious enough for me to come in , I should have just gone to the hospital instead of calling them.. *sigh*...
    thanks for all your advice girls , I'll wait and see if It gets better by itself if it doesnt i'll just go to the hospital tommorow and tell them that i couldnt get in to see the gp for a few days and that im worried and i want to be checked right there and then ! ... just 36 days to go ....cant wait for my little bundle , but im over this pregnancy thing..
    Thanks for listening!

When is your next antenatal appointment? I can't believe they didn't want you to come in. My hospital is great like that and get you to come in (even if they think it is nothing) just to ease your mind.

Next appointment is Monday 15th . . . so might hold off till then , i dunno anymore..or I might just go to your hospital ( Adelaide is it? ) hehe
    thanks for replying Lea13
    Lucky you, due in 18 days ! !

LOL 18 days seems to be forever away!!!!!

I just want my little bubba hehe!

I think if its still hurting in a few days you should just go in. What type of pain is it? Dull aching or more sharper?

I can't imagine anything worse then being in that sort of discomfort for that long! When Emerson sits up in my ribs it hurts my back and ribs as well and its more of a dull ache - I find that my aquanatal class really helps ease that sort of pain.

The sharper pain is the type that they asked me to be aware of.

Keep us informed though!

dannik Guest

Enigma i am not as far along as you but i have this pain also, its mainly when i am sitting or after eating, i have the pain in exactly the same spot at the front next to my right rib and at the back. My OB said it could be my gall bladder and i am going for an ultrasound tonight!? could be the same thing???

Dannik - mine eased off by itself , but I did have a scan done to make sure all is a-o-k... so I hope yours is alright too !

dannik Guest

Enigma went for my u/s of gall bladder and was clean as a whistle just something i have to put up with! HMPH!!!

I would love to tell you it gets better , but mine keeps getting worse again :-/
    another fun part of pregnancy I suppose , I feel for you tho , I only have 3 more weeks to put up with this... your a bit more... fingers crossed it will ease off for you !!