Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ring stuck on swollen finger - help!

Unhappy Ring stuck on swollen finger - help!

I noticed the other day that my hands are becoming swollen (they'll soon be a nice match with my cankles). Last night I managed to get my engagement ring off, but my wedding ring - which has always been a little tight - seems firmly stuck.

I looked on the net for solutions and saw that windex is widely recommended, so I'll give that a try tonight - but given the way my finger's swollen around the ring, it might be impossible to get it off.

Two questions -
    1. anyone had this problem and have a brilliant solution?
    2. anyone had a ring cut off by a jeweller, and if so, is it really awful or does it feel OK?

Thanks in advance!

May sound stupid, but have you tried the old "cake of soap" trick? I did that when I was pregnant with DS and it worked a charm.

Vaselines another to try..and I've heard straight car grease is a winner...

vegie oil, morning fresh try taking it off first thing in the morning when you should have the leaat amount of swelling

:hugs: hope you dont need to have it cut off

an ambo once showed me how to get a ring off hope i can explain it properly
    get a length of string & put it about an inch out under the ring facing the back or palm of you hand then with the other long end wind it tightly around your finger (can be a bit painful) tillpast the knuckle then get the short end & slowly pull it - ring should unravel off your finger - i also used some liquid soap but it has worked a few times with me & avoids the ring being cut

Why not elevate your hand for a while so the excess liquid leaves and you can take it off?

I also have tried putting my hand above my head in a bowl of cold water.

I hope you dont need to have it cut off. Maybe baby oil or cooking oil.

Elevate and ice - it will reduce swelling and then you should be able to get it off - use something slipper at the same time so that it comes off quicker
    the more that you pull at it the more swollen it will become too

Hi- I hope you managed to get your ring off, or that you fingers are now less swollen.
    About 2 weeks ago, my hands & feet swelled up very very badly very quickly- took me totally by surprise as I have had no swelling before that. Well, silly me to think I would avoid it! I got my wedding ring & engagement ring off with some major work, but my friendship ring would not budge! It was hurting/ throbbing & driving me crazy so I did go to a jeweller who cut it off. A bit sad but the relief I experienced was fantastic. It's not hard to fix a ring so don't worry too much if you need to get it cut............good luck!

Hey chick, I hope you managed to get it off. If not, pop down to your local ambo station and they'll do it for you.

melted butter or cooking oil spray

Ive heard the trick that melbee mentioned... it worked for a few friends of mine... one friend of mine got hers cut of (before we knew the string trick) and she said it didn't hurt, it was a relief.
    Best of luck

mgm: How'd it go??? I see you're online... LOL is it off??? I was going to suggest putting your hand in the freezer ice (that soft stuff) for a while then going to the sink and poring a little detergent or oil on your finger.

Thanks SO much for the suggestions, everyone.
    Bathsheba, I haven't tried anything yet - I decided to wait til Saturday so I won't have to go to work with a sore finger.
    Lullabyblue, As unsentimental as it sounds, I'm not too concerned about the ring itself (it's plain gold and shouldn't be difficult to fix), it's more the fear of having something sawn off my finger! Anyway I'm relieved to hear that you've had it done and survived!

I'll try out some of the ideas this weekend and let you know how it goes.

Hi mgm, I am a jeweller and I can tell you that so long as you do exactly what the jeweller says you won't get hurt. There is a guard on the tool which goes under the ring and stops the blade from coming into contact with your finger. Hopefully you can get it off with all the other suggestions, but if not I hope this puts your mind at ease

I had the same problem when pregnant with DS. I just made sure i didnt try to get it off for a little while (as your finger can swell), stuck my hand in some ice (to hopefully reduce any swelling) and then get some slippery soap on it. Its horrible when it happens, hope you can get it off and not have to cut it.

The string trick recommended above I have heard from my obs, as its quite a common problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast