Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scared about no pain relief

Default Scared about no pain relief

Ok, so I have never experienced labour having a c/s 1st time around scheduled 2 weeks before due date. This time around am going for a VBAC, and I am really anxious about the idea of possibly not being able to have an epidural. I don't have a very high pain threshold so I wonder how I would cope.

The reason for possibly no epidural (I think this was right) is that with a VBAC they want it to move along as quickly as possible, so they may need the labour to be asissted with some kind of induction, and whatever it is that they use - the anaethestist at the hospital don't like it to be used in conjuction with an epidural, so it is a case of either one or the other.

Was wondering from any VBACers out there what kind of pain management they were allowed to use, and if they have only had c/s before if they were scared at the thought of going through labour as well and not being able to cope with it?

I haven't had my VBAC yet, so can't really help too much. I didn't knwo that they didn't allow you to have an epidural. My OB said they won't induce, as the risks increase, but I hadn't yet heard about no epis.

I had pretty much decided anyway that I don't want an epi, mostly because I REALLY want to birth upright. I don't want to lay down & make it harder for myself to push t the baby out. That is my #1 reason for not wanting an epi.

That probably doesn't help - sorry! I will be interested to hear what others have to say...

Linda, I am the same, I want to be in the best possible position to open up my pelvis so I can get bubs out if it is a tight squeeze, but the option of the epidural there would just feel more reassuring.

I have my 30 week appointment next week, so will start going into it with doc in more detail then

Yeah, I agree. To know that it is just an option does give you more peace of mind. Do you know if they just 'don't encourage it' or if it is not an option at all? I haven't asked yet., but I will.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I recently had a client who said she had a very low pain threshold, her hubby would pay her out all the time as she would moan all night with something as little as a stomach ache so I prepared for the possibility to be transferred out of the birth centre. She got through without anything in the birth centre It's all about how you educate yourself, who's around you and who's caring for you. Do you have a doula lined up? Especially important in VBACs.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Join us in Melbourne on Saturday April 7th!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Wow! That's great!

You know I've been thinking, if you think of the pain as a positive, then it will make it easier to cope IYKWIM? At least that's what I'm hoping LOL.

The Pink Kit is great, check it out... has some VBAC specific stuff too.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Join us in Melbourne on Saturday April 7th!

Min...I was scared out of my mind!! My first was c/s due to breech and that was over 13 years ago! My second little man was born Monday just gone and he did great and was a successful VBAC with no drugs. I did a hypnobirthing course and in my opinion that was the best thing I could have done. It was amazing how even though I had to change my course of birth plan due to Oskar being in distress that the hypnobirthing continued to work for me..although I did ask if I could have gas if I needed it cos he had to be vacuum assisted and they told me it was too late anyway..lol. I think then my mind and what I'd learnt at hypnobirthing just took over and I got through it with no problems at all.

I think there is a thread somewhere with hypnobirthing practioners listed?? Kelly or a mod may be able to let you know where it is.
    Last edited by Ozziehoffy; March 2nd, 2008 at 04:33 PM. Reason: hehe text colour...oooops

That's interesting Kelly, I hope I surprise myself like that!! Am not really into the whole Doula thing, would feel uncomfortable with it, My husband will be with me to give me any support I need. Aside from him it will be midwife care unless there is a problem, my doctor will be hanging around in case there is any problems.

Cass, did you do a birth story? I would be interested to read it. Haven't considered hypnobirthing, what can I say - I guess I am a pretty conventional sort of gal, but am always interested to hear and open to different views and methods etc.

I think one of my main problems is I tend to panic, as in I might be in pain and thinking this isn't meant to be happening, something is wrong!! When I had my general for my thyroid op, I can remember the feeling going under, and I started to cough, and I was trying to sit up because I was positive I was something was going wrong and I was choking, and I can remember them holding me down.

Cass - that is fantastic!! Well done!! I can't wait to read your whole birth story!

Kelly - I've read about the pink kit. There was a mention that it could be purchased through BB. Is that right? Are you able to point me in the right direction?

Hey Min I'm doing the hypnobirthing thing too. It's amazing how many people pay me out with cliches of the clock swinging back and forward and someone telling you to go to sleep or cluck like a chicken.

I've gotta say I love it and the whole "hypno" part is a bit of a misnomer; it's more along the lines of training yourself to think differently through meditiation and visualisation so you can interpret the pain messages in a different way. Seriously difficult to explain but really REALLY worth a look in, especially if you experience any panic or anxiety - the fundamentals of hypno birthing are really about slowing down your breathing and relaxing so it helps in all aspects of relaxation - not just for child birth.

Anyway, sorry if you knew all this and I just sounded like a whingey preacher! Just wanted to say I'm doing it via distance learning and it's really worth it for me! I go at my own pace and listen to CD's at night in bed as I'm going to sleep.

Righto. Enough from me!

Best of luck whatever you decide to do!

x

I haven't taken on the Pink Kit yet, we're affiliates though It just means I have to order in stock in lots, so when I have saved for a bit, I will get started
    Kelly xx

I haven't done my birth story yet. What chickenlittle has said is pretty much how it is...they word "hypno" is only one name for it, some I believe call it calm birthing. I can't speak highly enough about how it helped me.

I think that is one reason that when it came down to it I was able to go "right, we just have to do what we have to do" and handed over to my body and baby - which is just one of the affirmations associated with hypnobirthing. It's to relax, trust your body and baby to know what they are doing. So I believe this is what I did, I just knew we each had our job to do and I think you'd be surprised at how calm you can actually be in a situation you may have previously been panicked by.

Min, pain relief for a VBAC as far as I know is the same for any other labour, it's the inducing that's different.

Generally they don't use gel to induce labour because of the ciolent contractions it can cause the uterus putting extra strain on your scar.

A VBAC they will give you a trial of labour, it's rather crappy though, as you are only allowed each stage for a certain ammount of time. And for you, as you didn't actually labour last time, this will be more like a first baby labour for you. Get what I mean ?

As you say you tend to panic perhaps the hypno birthing would be a great thing for you to look into. Might help to relax your body and mind.

Tehya was my VBAC and my longest labour at 10 hours. Sure it was hard, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't in pain, but it is productive pain. I got through it, one contraction at a time. Each one down was one closer to meeting my little girl.

It sure pays to fill you head with as much info as possible.

Goodluck hun. I hope it all goes great for you.

I just thought I'd add that I didn't labour with my first at all either. Didn't think to mention that until I saw Trish had mentioned it...it was totally unknown which is why I think I was so afraid of the concept. I don't think they induce a VBAC anywhere as far as I'm aware cos as Trish said it's more intense. The other interesting thing with hypnobirthing is that what you perceive at the moment to be pain actually isn't...it's very hard to explain, but I actually wasn't in pain...I had discomfort but not pain.

Trish, I know you had Tehya at home, so I guess you had a lot less rules than hospital VBAC's, you weren't worried at any point when it had gone on for so long that you might rupture? Is 10 hours considered a long birth, I know they don't let you labour for too long with a VBAC, but what sort of time frame is considered too long?

I will do a few question's asking hun, but I'm pretty sure that at hospital I would have been reaching my limit. Oh BTW the only reason my labour went on for so long was because I had a bowel obstruction. I was so blocked up but couldn't move down past it. An enema soon fixed it though.

Nope, was not worried at all about my scar. It was perfect the whole way through, and with uterine rupture, apparently you really feel it.

My advice for you would be to stay at home for as long as possible if you want to avoid intervention. Walking is great to get bub into a good position on you it to put pressure on your cervix. Shower's and baths are great for pain relief too.

becmc Guest

I think it is totally unreasonable the time limits doctors put on labour. 'Apparently' a normal woman is supposed to dilate 1 cm an hour, or else it is failure to progress. As long as mum and baby are doing well then there is no reason why labour can't take much longer(and often does, especially in vbac because it is considered a first labour), and if you labour in the comfort of your own home with no stress etc. then that can help speed things up because you aren't worrying.
    I am planning a home vbac in August, and have hired a private midwife so any problems will be picked up much faster than in a hospital, where they rely on machines to tell them everything, rather than closely watching the woman. Standard protocol for vbac's is constant foetal monitoring, so you are unable to move freely which is extremely important. Alot of places will induce with the drip, but I don't think the gel is used much. The chance of uterine rupture is very small, and even if it does occur is not usually a full rupture, and no symptoms will even be detected because it doesn't have any effect on bubs(in a tear, not a full rupture). Actually almost as many uterine tears(sorry can't remember the proper word) are detected in women who go in for an elective 2nd c/s, as those in women who do vbac.
    This is a very emotional subject for me. After an awful experience with my first, I have done so much research and am appalled at the pressures, and limits that hospitals place on healthy women, just because they have had a c/s.
    Min, have you thought of hiring a doula to help you minimise your need for pain relief??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast