Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I be getting period pain now??

Question Should I be getting period pain now??

Hey all - 35w tomorrow, and I'm getting horrendous lower back pain. Only on my right side, which ironically is where most of my back labour was with Jenna.
    I'm having a really tough time sleeping, and wheatpacks aren't touching the pain at all. So there is one issue - I'm wondering if I should be taking some panadol or something at night to help.

The other thing is I'm starting to get some period type pains. Its not uncomfy, just present, and it comes in a wave from the back - similar toa contraction. Its been the last 2-3 days. Its worst when I am on my back in bed (wtih pillows under my knees).

I get lots of BH's anyway - I have been told I likely have an irritable uterus, so I would get 15-25 BH's a day, but this is separate and pretty uncomfy.

Bubs is still moving around plenty, my CM hasn't changed, and I'm eating and drinking normally. I'm heaps less active (which means I'm probably still more active than the normal 35w prgnant woman) but its all just starting to play on my mind.

I feel like an absolute ditz even asking this - but should I let the midwives know about the period type aches?? I dont remember this from last time.
    It doesn't feel like bubs is engaged yet. I remember that feeling VERY well (ouch).

Any advice?

I have no idea, Fi, but I reckon if in doubt then ask the midwives, just in case! I got period pain sensations from about 30w on but they were normal BH for me. Sounds like it might be different for you though.

All the best!

Im certainly no expert, but is there any chance it could be early labour?

I hope not Danni - Its certainly not intense like the early (late) labour I had with jenna (which went on for 2w or so).
    I'm just sorta constantly achey, and then I get a wave every hour or so.
    Maybe I should give them a call to be on the safe side...
    I know this is probably TMI, but could it be a bowel thing that feels like period type pain? Perhaps more pressure on my bowel is making me feel a bit blurk?

That can definitely happen. Have you used your bowels lately?

kirsty Guest

That could be it Fi, but to be on the safe side it probably wouldn't hurt to give the midwives a ring, or if you have an appt soon then mention it to them.

OK - well I'm pretty regular bowel wise, and I did a #2 not long before posting this. In the last hour I've had 3 "pains" so to speak. They are very short, and nothing like contractions, but they aren't coming with a hard tummy either.
    Its like a wave of nausea/period ache/back ache.
    I dont have anotehr appt for about 10d, I might give them a call. No doubt they will tell me I'm being paranoid. But I'm not liek that at all. I have it very firmly fixed in my head this baby will be here about Christmas time.

Hi Fi,

I had similar feelings all week. I kept thinking, 'oh no im in labour', but were just BH. Til now id never experianced them, or if i had, not noticed. Had a check up at the hospital yesterday and mentioned the pains, my OB said it was all normal to be getting the pains, and bub is very much engaged.
    So of course last night DH and i went out for some take away after out classes and sitting in the middle of the dining room i burst into tears from the pains i was getting. Lasted about 2 minutes, then left, then come back on and off all night, each time with me in tears. Feel ok today, but if it keeps up ill be straight on to the hospital again.

As most have said, just get it checked out or ask your midwife/dr. If you didnt have it in your first pg, might be worth finding out if all is ok!!!

Good luck

Give them a call Fi. sending lots of love

Hope it's not early labour Fi, and I hope it's not prelabour that will go on and on too! Have you eaten anything that could make you a bit gassy? Sometimes wind can move around and be painful periodically. Perhaps drink some ginger tea or something that might help if it is tummy/bowel related.

It wouldn't hurt to ring the midwives. If you're really worried, they can monitor your belly to see if it's contractions or BH or whatever (can't they?)

Hope it eases up soon. The last few weeks are uncomfortable enough without pains like that.

My BH's swell up my belly just like normal contractions do, so when I got chucked on the CTG last time (with the prelabour before Jenna) I was regularly getting the BH's and they were pretty obvious.
    I'll give them a call. I feel off This better not be the start of anything.... I have nothing packed, all the newborn stuff is still packed away.
    Perhaps its just a gentle reminder to start taking things a bit more seriuosly.
    And to get my bag packed

Haha pack your bag missy!!!

Fi, did you call the hosp hun ??

They do sound like braxtons to me, but you'd know more coz their in your belly

Given that this is your second baby you probably should get yourself into gear and pack that bag girl. Holding out on doing it won't stop bub from coming

kirsty Guest

I was just coming to ask how you got on too Fi? Did you give them a call? What did they say?

And I'm another one who thinks maybe you should pack your bag just in case

Haha - well they said what I thought. Hot bath/shower and take some analgesic, and have a lie down. Call us in the morning if you still feel off. I swear they are programmed to say this . So I've done that. Feeling a bit better, still lots of gooey feelings, but I've decided to unpackthe newborn stuff and get that in order, and of course to pack my bag, and Jenna's bag (for whoever we turf her off to ).
    I'm hoping its just a gentle reminder that Christmas is getting close.

Well they started up again at about 8pm last night, and after consulting with my brains trust, we decided to call them, and they told me to come in (they were every 10mins for about an hour).
    I was put on the CTG and all the things checked. She confirmed I was getting my little contractions every 10mins or so. They thought it might have been a UTI, so they have taken a wee test and will get back to me on that if I need anything.
    We (Bec and I) were sent home at about midnight with some sleeping pills.

I know my body, and I know whats going on is very different from my prelabour from last time. Its not straight BH's, trust me - I know what these are like, and its not intense like something is going to happen in the next day, but all I really wanted checked out was if there was anything I should be doing now to prevent myself going into early labour.

Like I say - I'm not into being paranoid, and I would be AOK if this was happening in 3 weeks rather than now. Just all seems a little soon.....

Anyway - maybe a cruisy day with plenty of fluids will help some.

Fi, I posted more to you in our baby buddies. I hope you are feeling better this morning. Try to take it easy for the next few days. I know how much that will kill you though.

Hope all goes well for you hun

Fi,
    its not a great sign that I got to sleep in till 7 and you posted at 6!!.
    Bec
    Hmm my clocks wrong pmsl so we are up at the same time....I'll give you a call chicky remember it is ok to rest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast