Thread: Should I be worried about this?

Default Should I be worried about this?

I had my Ob appt yesterday, and it didn't go as well as I would have liked.

So far in this pg everything has been going really well, I even told my Ob last time that I was his easiest pt! Bubs appeared to be growing really well, (almost too well for my liking!) and my BP is usually around 115/60. I think the lowest was 110/50 and the highest was 120/70.

Yesterday we had a little chat and then I hopped on the bed. He took my BP sitting up and I could see the systolic reading was about 130. He didn't say anything, took it again, and it was the same. I said I didn't like the look of it, and he said he would take it again after checking the HB.

So he palpates my tummy, and says "I would guess this measures around 26" measures the fundal height, and it's 27 cm. Well it was 26 last time, so I'm not feeling too good about that! DH has his hand on my leg by now, we're both a tad worried. Ob gets out the doppler, it took him a minute to find the HB, but he said it sounds good.

I sit up again, but of course I'm a bit concerned now so my BP is still up around 130/80 NOT HAPPY JAN! He questions me as to whether I've been getting any headaches, swelling etc, I say not recently which he is happy with. He says we need to keep an eye on my BP, but not to be concerned about it.

I am seeing him again at 32 weeks and we will have a scan just beforehand to check fetal growth, placental function etc. I'm glad he wrote the referral cos I would have asked for one anyway! We then had a nice chat about RLT, the hotel program at my hossy etc and I felt okay. But by the time I got in the lift I wanted to cry.

Now, I know that fundal height isn't always considered an accurate representation of growth, and I think that's why he's not too bothered. And I also know that my BP could have been a little higher than normal for a number of reasons, or maybe just no reason at all. But I still feel quite concerned and I'm worried that I'm doing something wrong. And of course worrying isn't going to help lower my BP, so I need to get over it!

I know I can call my Ob or the hossy at any time if I'm really worried, but I still feel sick. Am I just being an over-protective mummy-to-be?

ETA I forgot to mention to my Ob that on occasion lately I see white spots, like stars in front of my eyes. Sometimes when I've been bending over, sometimes not. Should I mention that or keep my mouth shut?!

Hi Sez,

How long do the white spots last for ?
    Do you have any headaches at all and are they easy to get rid of ?
    Any swelling of any part of your body ?

Sorry for all the questions.

gigi01 Guest

Sezjem - I would definitely mention it to him - if for no other reason than to put your mind at rest a little bit. he will know if it's relevant to the BP etc or not.

Re your fundal measurement - don't fret. I am still measuring 2 cms less (I am 36 weeks and at 34cms) and my OB is not worried about it at all. I will probably catch up by the very end anyway.

Try not to worry and don't think you are doing anything wrong! I would just talk to him about your concerns - after all, that's what he's there for and why they are paid the big bucks.

Good luck and try to rest your mind a bit....

Gigi

I'm feeling a bit better now, think I was just panicking a little bit....pg hormones and all!

I wouldn't be worried if I was just measuring behind, it's the lack of growth that concerns me.

Michelle, the white spots don't last for long, maybe 30 seconds? I haven't had a headache for about 2 weeks, when I get them they're pretty shocking, but it's not all the time. Don't really get any swelling, just a tiny bit on my ankles when it's hot and I've been doing alot.

I know how you feel. At 36 weeks I was told bub was measuring 31 weeks!!! This is after she had measured 33 weeks at previous appointment, so I was SO worried. Had u/s the next day and all was fine, she was 36 after all and for some reason she just measured alot less at that particular appointment. So I would say don't worry, but get checked for peace of mind.xo

Hi Sezjm
    Your BP is not too bad but because the top number has gone up by 20 it is worth watching but it is not worth worrying about.
    The fundal height measurment is so inacurate that a lot of places no longer bother to do them.
    White spots are an indication of PE but because yours only last for a few seconds it is normal. You will find that it will happen when getting up or bending like you said.
    From what you are saying I would say that your pregnancy is normal and you have nothing to worry about

Thanks Alan, that's pretty much what my Ob said I felt comfortable when I was in there talking to him about it, it was just after I left that I panicked IYKWIM? And I think it doesn't help that I don't feel bubs alot, but as he said, I do have an anterior placenta.

So thank you for your reassuring words, you are truly a gem