Thread: Sleeping Positions

Default Sleeping Positions

I seem to remember when pregnant with DD that late in your pregnancy there are certain sleeping positions that you should avoid but for the life of me I cannot remember them! Any help much appreciated. Mind you am starting to get so uncomfortable that chances are its not going to matter anyway!!!

Hi there,

The only one I've heard of is sleeping on your back. I've found since late in the second trimester that it seems to cut off the circulation anyway. I sort of alternate between lying on left and right sides but can't wait to start back sleeping again.

Lots of pillows helps ... but admittedly, it is very hard to find a really really comfortable position at this stage. =)

Mel

Janet Guest

Really late in pregnancy you NEED to be maintaining a lifestyle supportive of optimal foetal positioning. This means always sleeping on your left side, never slouching in a chair or couch, or sitting with your legs crossed, sitting very upright and doing hands and knees cat stretches when you feel your baby move from anterior to posterior. If you sleep on your back, or roll onto it, your uterus will crush important blood vessels and you will naturally roll over or wake up feeling queasy and then move. You won't hurt your baby

Janet,

How can I tell when the baby has moved from anterior to posterior? Any clues? At all appointments, he has been head down in the pelvis, back to the right so I'm not sure how much he moves around in between those times.

Thanks,

Mel

Thanks for all that info. I knew it had something to do with sleeping on your side!

Janet Guest

No probs

Mel you need to feel a firm smooth little back down the left hand side of your belly, slightly to the front, and kicks on the right. If you're practising optimal foetal positioning your baby will find it much easier to maintain that optimal anterior position. If Kelly doesn't have any articles about OFP, hundreds of other websites do. Google "optimal foetal positioning" and "Jean Sutton" for heaps of hits. The Spinning Babies site also has a section on belly mapping and a VERY cool pic of a baby traced onto the mother's belly so you can see the exact position you want Of course posterior isn't a problem for every woman, some mamas just grow them that way and for them and it's just another position. Most of us find anterior babies easier to birth however and provided you stay away from lying down in labour and epidurals you give your baby plenty of opportunity to either move or be birthed regardless