Thread: Small Belly

suzyaaron Guest

Default Small Belly

Hi all,

I will be 35 weeks this saturday and this is my first baby. I am now 26 years old. I knew that I should not listen to people who keep saying that my belly is small and they assumed that of course my baby will small too. Sometimes, I compared my self with other pregnant women who got larger belly. I looked like I am now in 5-6 months although I will be soon going 9 months..I can't help it when people keep saying that "you are not that big, aren't you" and "what a small belly u got there" and they didnt believe me that I'm going 9 months coz it looked like I am 5-6 mnths pregnant..

Sometimes I wondered, is my baby normal? Am i normal? I am small with 160cm and weight about 45kg before pregnant. And I losing weight to 40kg when I was detacted pregnant, that time I was 5 weeks preggy. And slowly increase till now I reached to 53kg. I don't know..is this normal to all of u guys?

on last 2 weeks, during my check ups, my gynae told me that, my baby is small..he said that the baby's head is fine but the body is small and he asked me to eat more. On my next check up will be on this tuesday and if the baby condition still remain small, he got to c-sec me. Since then, I ate a lot..I hope this will help. I want to deliver normally and wanted to avoid c-sec..But, my baby still actively moving from day to day. I really hope he's fine and healthy. I was so afraid I will be on c-sec and the baby unhealthy. did anyone have a smaller pregnant belly and still deliver a normal sized baby?

I will be appreciate if u guys can give me some tips, ideas, suggestions or advices for me to improve my self and my baby development. So far, I don't have any bad things detacted such as diabetes, high blood pressure etc..Everything fine but I wonder why my baby's body is small while his head was just fine. What else shoud I do to gain my baby's weight or maybe my weight either?? Please help..

Confused..
    Suzy.

Suzy, I'm sure you and your bub are fine I'm also getting the "you're so small" and "over 7 months? Where is it?" comments and I'm getting really annoyed with them. People just don't think about how their comments affect you.

Your doc doesn't seem overly concerned with bub and he/she's active, so just do as the doc said and eat up (if you can, I find I get sick if I force myself to eat) and try not to worry

Taia's Mum Guest

Hi Suzy!

My midwife told me last week (when I was 36 weeks) that I look like i'm only 28 weeks. This really played on my brain and I started to eat a lot more. At this weeks checkup I had grown an extra 2cm - so I know my extra food is helping!

My best mate (Kitty33 on BB!) was about 57kg when she gave birth - she's a very small girl like you! Her bubs was fine.

All I can suggest is to snack a lot more! I was snacking only once between meals but now I'm having smaller meals and more snacks and it seems to be doing it for me!

Goodluck - I'm sure if you keep up the food you will be fine!

xoxo

Suzy
    I bet thast you have very well toned tummy muscles. You probably play quite a bit of sport. perhaps horse riding.
    This is the type of woman whos tummy is usually quite small. Dont worry hun I'm sure that everything is normal

My friend is the same Suzy. She is 33 wks and looks very small, but apparently she has a deep uterus and bubs is sitting back inside more than other people. I am a similar build to you by the sounds of it but I carry straight out in front - so what is normal for one is different for another. You might find that you'll pop out overnight or you might not. Try not to stress about it, sometimes I don't think that what docs tell us is said correctly and then we worry.

suzyaaron Guest

Default many thanks

Thank you so much of all of your support and guidance for me to be strong. Well, I can't stop worrying about my baby. I'm afraid something will happen to him or he become unhealthy. But, here..my instinct strongly said that he is a good, big n healthy boy. The way he moved actively in my belly. Anyway, I just got to be strong and pray that my bubba will be fine n in good condition. I will update to you all about my baby's result on my next check up this tuesday. I hope he is healthy an grow up bigger.

Yes, I knew I should not compare myself to others but as I said I cant help it when people keep saying that my belly so small..

Anyway guys, once again, thanks for all of your supports.. I really appreciated it. ;-)

Suzy, big to you. Prove 'em all wrong

Suzy with my first pregnancy i only gained a total of 5.5 kilos..and was 56.5 kilos at the end. I had a very small bump and received the same comments as you. Unfortunately my baby came premmie at 34 weeks due to a placenta abruption (had nothing to do with my weight or baby's size) and my DD was just off 5 pound. This was a very good weight for a baby who was 6 weeks premmie so i'm sure she would have been a good 7 or so pounds if she had of made it full term.

This time around my stomach is HUGE and i've been told that this bub is actually quite small, so outwards belly size doesn't reflect te size of bub.

Try not to worry too much - if you are only a slight person then it's unlikely you'll have huge babies anyway

mummy_in_training Guest

hello

dont worry, I am 33 weeks pregnant but i know that my mum carried really small with me, I was a week late and although i was a small baby (30cm) and 1 week late( I had to wear cabbage patch dolls clothes) I was a very healthy kid, very sporty and no sicknesses... still am... but my suggestion to pack onthe wieght is to eat more carbs and fat, it will do it...

Hi Suzy
    I know how you feel with the small belly thing. I'm getting near 28 weeks and I am sick to death of people telling me over and over how small I am and saying I don't even look that pregnant. And as much as I try to let it not stress me out it does and it really upsets me. Like you I am about the same height and pre pregnancy weight, so I'm sure we just have beautiful petite babies.
    I mentioned about my sml tummy to my obs last week and he agreed that I looked small but said we will just watch me over the next few weeks. My bub is nice and active too so that is some reassurance.
    I'm sure your baby is just beautiful, a small baby doesn't mean it's unhealthy so just keep looking after yourself.
    :hugs:
    All the best.

suzyaaron Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lee:-) View Post
    Hi Suzy
    I know how you feel with the small belly thing. I'm getting near 28 weeks and I am sick to death of people telling me over and over how small I am and saying I don't even look that pregnant. And as much as I try to let it not stress me out it does and it really upsets me. Like you I am about the same height and pre pregnancy weight, so I'm sure we just have beautiful petite babies.
    I mentioned about my sml tummy to my obs last week and he agreed that I looked small but said we will just watch me over the next few weeks. My bub is nice and active too so that is some reassurance.
    I'm sure your baby is just beautiful, a small baby doesn't mean it's unhealthy so just keep looking after yourself.
    :hugs:
    All the best.

Thanks Lee..I appreciated your opinion. Well..it is true when so many people keep saying that my belly small and bla bla bla..it make me sick and ****ed off..

But anyway, I try not to follow my emotions too much coz u know, previous time I cried a lot when people cant stop judging my belly and my pregnancy. I am proud to have such friends, forumers ( all of you) and of course husband who always give me supports and encourages to be strong..

Tomorow will be my check up day..Will see what improvement from my bubba..I just hope he is healthy, safe & sound..Will update to u guys tomorow..Thanks all..

suzyaaron Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Confused View Post
    I really wouldnt worry, all through my pregnancy ppl would say to me that I had a small belly or is the baby small? It used to upset me until I asked my Dr and he said its fine its just that im a small person and it was my first baby. Laila was born a healthy 3.16kg (abit over 7 pound) and she is two months and is 5.5 so I really wouldnt stress over it, im sure everything is ok.

Hi Princess Confused..

Yeah, I am now stop worrying about my small belly..Seems that people judgements are not effected our belly..All I hope is my baby will be healthy and fine. yep, I am small person and I think my belly suits me. I should be proud of what I had..shouldn't I?

Hhmm..maybe I worried too much..till one of friend called me mrs worries..I got many many questions in my mind till I being so confused and afraid..But sometimes, my instinct told me that my baby is big..Well, I dont know..All I hope is he is fine n healthy like other normal children..

Well, although I got a small belly here, it's not possible if I will having a 3kg baby either..who knows !!

Again thanks for all your supports guys !! I really appreciated it !!

Good luck at your appointment tomorrow!

I was small with Louis...so much so that at 37 weeks I was only measuring 32 weeks and my dr booked me in for a last minute scan...The scan showed that he was over 3kg though and I had him 4 days later and he was only 2.67kg!! So even having scans aren't that accurate with the size of bubba. My little boys still little but then so am I..BUT he's completely healthy and ahead with all his milestones!
    I'm carrying small this time around as well...I think I'm just destined to have small bubbas!!

suzyaaron Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Krisvee View Post
    Good luck at your appointment tomorrow!

I was small with Louis...so much so that at 37 weeks I was only measuring 32 weeks and my dr booked me in for a last minute scan...The scan showed that he was over 3kg though and I had him 4 days later and he was only 2.67kg!! So even having scans aren't that accurate with the size of bubba. My little boys still little but then so am I..BUT he's completely healthy and ahead with all his milestones!
    I'm carrying small this time around as well...I think I'm just destined to have small bubbas!!
    Hi Krisvee,

Wow..Seems that scan weren't that accurate huh?! Yeah I agree, sometimes even the gynae can confirm and just following to the scan machine and such..Yur baby is quite huge...

Well, guys.. I just back from my check up just now, and guess what..my baby got some improvements there..he grew up bigger and doctor said there is an improvement and thanked God..I was so happy to hear about it..but doctor asked me to continuosly eat more and double up my calcium. Now I am 35 weeks and 3 days, my bubba weights about 2 kg ++. I gain 2kg from last 2 weeks..Now I am 52kg. He said 2.5kg is already ideal for my baby weight and suitable with my small body. Afraid if my bubba will be bigger, hard for me to push.. But I estimate within 2.5kg-3kg..Do u guys think this is ok?

So my due date will be on 6th April based on the scan. But is it possible if my bubba want to "see the world" earlier??

I'm sure your bubba will be just fine!!! Yeah, I agree 1 or 2 weeks early would be great!!!

I am 6 months and ladies like to tell me how "tiny" i am . personally i feel huge... but i wasnt the fatest girl beofre being preg... it does annoy me sometimes when i get compared to someone who had akid 30 years ago and they want to tell me that they were this big when they were 3 months blah blah blah......I just look at it like this - well maybe i will be better off after wards and not have strecthy skin etc like some ladies have..... butthen on the other hand sometimes i feel inadequate like something isnt quite right.. but my baby is the right size for his age so i try nott o wrry about - but liike you i cant help it sometimes.. especiall y when tyhe girl at the checkout says "is that a little bump " NO ITS A BABY i feel like saying but i just let them have there little bit.

Maybe we are those lucky ladies that dont get bad strecth marks and are pretty heavy afterwards - a blessing in disguise i say.

I was 167 cm and 51 kg pre-pregancy
    Last edited by meegm; February 27th, 2007 at 03:08 PM.

suzyaaron Guest

Quote Originally Posted by meegm View Post
    I am 6 months and ladies like to tell me how "tiny" i am . personally i feel huge... but i wasnt the fatest girl beofre being preg... it does annoy me sometimes when i get compared to someone who had akid 30 years ago and they want to tell me that they were this big when they were 3 months blah blah blah......I just look at it like this - well maybe i will be better off after wards and not have strecthy skin etc like some ladies have..... butthen on the other hand sometimes i feel inadequate like something isnt quite right.. but my baby is the right size for his age so i try nott o wrry about - but liike you i cant help it sometimes.. especiall y when tyhe girl at the checkout says "is that a little bump " NO ITS A BABY i feel like saying but i just let them have there little bit.

Maybe we are those lucky ladies that dont get bad strecth marks and are pretty heavy afterwards - a blessing in disguise i say.

I was 167 cm and 51 kg pre-pregancy
    Hi there meegm..

Yes, I admit certain people words had make us irritated. It keep me worrying about my baby. But as long as the doctor said the baby was ok and so from others family & friends's advices and supports it make me calm and I am now just like.."yeah..yeah..say what u want to say..I knew my bubba is ok.." And ignore them and pretend like I didnt hear what they say..And they will feel annoyed..

Well, I am sure yur bubba soon will get bigger n bigger and as long as both of u guys condition is fine & healthy, you should not be worry and be strong !! Go girl