Thread: Something like period pains. Is this BH?

Post Something like period pains. Is this BH?

I have been experiencing, the last couple of weeks, a very familiar feelling.

Just spontaneously I'll feel a small ache - very much like period pains or when the pain you get in your lower gut if you have an upset stomach. I suspect this may be BH.

It's very dull but enough for me to notice. The baby is fine and 4 fifths above the brim.

Does anyone else experience this?

Yes, that sounds like braxton hicks to me

It sounds like BH to me. Try putting your hand on your tummy you may feel it tighten and go hard

Alan, what EXACTLY does 4 fifths above the brim mean?

Last week it was "at the brim".

It means that you baby is engaged ..... just.
    4 fifths of your babys head is above the pelvic brim

Oops........ I really am in strife now, aren't I?? HAR, HAR............

Thank you Alan.

Not long now (hopefully!) lestypuss?! Goodluck!

Thanks Simone. It is getting close isn't it?

I live in the Riverland of South Australia and we are extremely well equipped in this region with some FANTASTIC midwives and drs. With their help I am sure I will get through this with a wonderful baby at the end - then the fun REALLY starts. Giving birth is only the beginning.

Lesty,
    Hi. Yeah they sound like BH to me. I have had alot of backpain lately and the pain gets worse when i get BH.... its killing me.
    I hope this may be a sign of labour.......
    Love Jen

Hi girls,
    I get the period type pains too, but my braxton hicks are getting down right PAINFUL, and a little too regular for my liking when i get a series of them. Yesterday for 3 hours aprox straight, they were every 3-4 minutes apart, but only lasted for 25-30 seconds, and were painful enough to make me stop and grimace my way through them.
    But I only have to get through the next 2 weeks 6 days till the caeser.
    Alan, could you please tell me why a hospital would think it best to only do elective caesers on a thursday, and in the afternoon? (sorry to get a bit offtrack here, but I am lost as to see their reasoning especially coming into the weekend skeleton staff shifts? I really dont understand my hospital at all)
    Thanks

Hi Lil Aussie

Sorry I canít answer that one. I would have thought it would have been better to do a C/S in the morning when staff levels are at their optimum.

Perhaps the light is better on a Thursday afternoon in northern NSW

Lil, I am also getting the same sort of thing... unless it's regular regular, not regular then nothing for a bit, it doesn't count. Drat!

As for hospital policy... (note to self: do not turn this into a rant) well, hospitals decide what's easiest for them with regards to cleaning up and whatnot, and don't really care for the actual patients. Could be that a doctor who likes doing sections works on a Thursday afternoon and has no clinic booked. It is often something as stupid as that. And who cares about levels of staff for recovery - you're alive, you've recovered, why would you need help?

Or is that just our health system?

My GF had an elective caesar two weeks ago in a public hospital down here. She also could only book in on a Thursday, and had to take an afternoon spot, didn't have bubs until 5pm. I have to say, she was recovering really well until the weekend staff came on :frown: But that could happen anytime I guess, she was just unlucky I think. Luckily it was her second bub!