Thread: Sore ankles and wrist/fingers

Default Sore ankles and wrist/fingers

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering whether or not this is normal:

Since a few days my wrists and finger joints are achy at times and last night even my ancles were sore!
    What's causing this? Just pregnancy? Loosening of everything?
    I do get the occasional swelling as well, but only when I am warm/hot.

Thanks!

bbwish, I don't know much about the sore ankles, but I have heard that some women get carpal tunnel syndrome during the course of their pregnancies. Since you are experiencing finger/joints soreness, you should mention this to your doctor. Wish you all the best for the weeks you have left!

i have had sore ankles/knees for the last couple of weeks and have put it down to the added weight i'm carrying. i too have had an uncomfortable feeling in my hands but it is more of a pins and needles tingling sensation associated with carpal tunnel. I too only swell when i am warm etc. If it is bothering you mention it to your dr JIC better to be safe than sorry.

Most likely it is fluid retention - I've had really bad swollen ankles and hands, and quite a lot of joint pain as a result. Mostly normal in pregnancy, but heat will definitely exacerbate it (I live it the tropics, am considering moving into a fridge for the next three weeks). Make sure that you get your BP checked - sudden swelling is sometimes attributed to high BP and can be a symptom of pre-eclampsia. Sounds completely normal, but get it checked.

If you have access to a pool, swimming/floating will help, as will yoga. (Or just sit with your feet in a bucket of cool water!). Try to increase the circulation, keep off your feet as much as you can, and keeping them elevated will all help. A good therapeutic massage will do wonders, or co-opt your partner or a friend into giving you one, getting them to start at the ends of your toes/fingers and moving with deep sweeping movements up your feet/legs (ie: towards the heart). I had a massage last week and could actually fit into my shoes afterwards. Oh the joy!

There is another thread somewhere in this section with some really good tips thanks to yogababy... sorry, don't know how to post it...

Hi Suse,

Thanks for your answer, the swelling isn;t any different from what I had pre preg. My hands and feet would swell as soon as I got had then too. BP was 120/70 when last checked, so thats all normal.

Must be just pregnancy then maybe in combo with some RSI, it's not all the time thank goodness but the sore anckles were quite annoying the other night when I tried to sleep. Hadn;t had it before.

Thanks everyone else for your replies! I will mention it next week at my midwife appointment!

Best of luck with your ankles and the rest of your pregnancy too!!

just thought i would let you know i have had the same thing as you the last couple of weeks.. i asked the ob about it and he said it was just normal pg swelling and sorness, as my bp was good and no protein in a urine sample...

hope it eases for you soon

australicat Guest

Hi, yes, I have the same thing, but only in my hands and only when I fall asleep. It started off with the Carpal Tunnel pins and needles for a few weeks, but now I don't get the pins and needles anymore. My hands are just painful to move when I first wake up. Often my hips hurt a lot too. Again, only at night. Once I am up and moving, everything is ok and the pain goes.

I have to fly from Istanbul back to Adelaide soon, so I am really hoping that I don't blow up like a balloon on the plane. I am worried that it is going to be really painful if I do... Are there any safe pain killers for pregnant women?

Hi Australicat,

Gee, that's a long flight! How many weeks will you be when you fly?

On the flight, try to walk and move around as much as possible (not easy on a plane!), and drink plenty of water! Also a good idea to invest in a pair of TED stockings, these will not only reduce any effects of fluid retention (if that's what is causing your pain) but also help prevent deep vein thrombosis. A good massage before and after the flight will probably help too.

If the pain is from fluid retention (esp. in your hands), the effects are usually worse after sleeping (or any long period of inactivity), as movement assists circulation. Paracetemol is usually considered safe during pregnancy, not sure how effective it will be though. Perhaps check with your doctor.

Best of luck with the flight - maybe try to convince the flight attendants to give you an upgrade - the extra leg room will help!!

australicat Guest

Hi Suse,

Yes, the flight is too long! I will be in my 34th week when we fly, so it is at the last minute really. It is a long story, but the short version is, my husband needed a visa that took 3 months to get and I didn't want to leave him, in case he couldn't get a later flight just before Christmas.. or perhaps no visa at all.

I don't think I will find those stockings here. I will just have to get up and walk as much as possible and look like a crazy woman doing "in seat" exercises.

I think I will have to take an empty bottle with me for the flight attendant to fill up... as they have those no fluids on flights regulations now. Those little cups of water they give you on flights are never enough, even under normal circumstances, I used to take a litre of water with me on the plane.

Thanks for the best of luck wishes... I think I will need them

Hey Australicat,

Good luck with your flight.

Luckily, the pain for me is not a permanent thing! I had the sore anckles twice so far in the last week or so.

Everyone good luck!