Thread: Sore hips

catherine Guest

Default Sore hips

My hips are so sore during the night. I'm sure it's because I'm lying on my side with a lot of extra weight pressing down on my old bones, but it's getting unbearable. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can ease the pain?

have you tried sleeping with a pillow?, i made a small pillow out of polarfleece thats sits from under my boobs to just in between my legs, it's only about 30cm wide and stuffed with stuffing, though not too much, just enough to lift my belly and support my hip.
    hope this helps, goodluck

I too have this problem Catherine and the only solution I have found is turning onto the other side (of course is this a major effort though )
    So at 34wks I sleep for approx 1-2 hrs then am awoken by pain, to do my 12 point turn (haha) and then get back to sleep for another 1-2 hrs...lol

Similiar to AJP - I have a long pillow that goes down the side of my body (I kind of hug it) and between my legs...and this has worked really well until this last week....so that might help....but will be watching for other solutions also

Yeah I'm pretty sure there's nothing you can do.....I get the same achiness and have to turn half way during the night......

I have found that turning is the only solution for me. I have a pillow supporting my bump and keeping my knees separated to close to hip width and also have regular massages but still get the pain in the night. As my heartburn is sooo bad, I actually sleep half sitting up with 3 pillows creating a nice ramp. This eliminates the pressure you would normally get lying flat on your back and it quite comfy once you get used to it. No hip pain in this possie, just the feeling of wanting to curl up on you side every now and then!

catherine, I too had this problem, and like lorasha, I had to do the 12-point turn every couple of hours!! The only thing that worked for me was to sleep in the spare bed, which has a really soft mattress. I think it was a combination of being able to sleep by myself (instead of with DH) and sinking into the mattress that helped. I'm not sure if it was good for me to be sleeping on a soft mattress, but it worked.
    Good luck, hope you find something that works.

Same probs over here! I have actually found that changing my position on the BED helps. Get DH to flip your mattress or swap side & even ends of the bed. Sometimes if you get into your own "grove" there isn't as much support. But I really do need to upgrade our mattress so maybe its just me! I told DH at the begining of this PG that I wanted a new one by half way through but it never happened! But that was my own fault, I forgot I wanted a new one lol.

catherine Guest

Thanks girls - sounds like the only thing for it is to keep doing the commando rolls taking my pillow arrangement with me!