Thread: sore tail bone

Default sore tail bone

Does anyone else experience pain in the area of their tail bone after sitting for long periods of time? Maybe I am the only one but it would be nice to know if this is normal or not or if it might be something else.

I can't remember if I did with Charlie (never had the chacne to sit down for long enough!) but I defiantely did with Olivia. My job at the time involved a lot of active work on construction sites in the morning, then a lot of sitting at the laptop in the office all afternoon, and through the third tri it was horrific! The pain in my tail-bone was so bad that I felt like I could barely stand up again! Swimming after work helped it all "unkink".

I think it is just the body trying to adjust to the new levels of weight distribution!

I am pretty sure it is totally normal, but check with your OB/midwife/Dr at your next appt? Just in case?

Can i ask when the pain actually starts? Just so i can brace myself

I have a broken cocxyc bone and already have the pain now.

Please not - when sitting on the Dont or U shaped pillows you have to get up every half hour - being pregnant and sitting on the pillows actually cuts of one of the main blood supplies to your legs so you need to get up and walk about a bit. Physio told me about this the other day

Isn't it amazing how they can forget to tell you important parts!!! did you ever get up from your seat and feel like you had pins and needles?

Mmm maybe - I will have to keep a look out for that happening to me. I spend 8 hours a day at my desk so i am hoping that my coxcyc bone doesn't hurt too much.

It is good to hear that it is just not me experiencing this. I hope it doesn't get too much worse though as it is already very uncomfortable. Like others that have experienced this, I sit at a desk for work most of the time so this is when I feel it most.

As others suggested I might try and do some swimming to help relieve it. I have a pool at home so once it warms up I will try and get in there and do some laps with my kickboard.

Wishful - My physio said to actually walk in the water that way you are building the muscles up around it and they will help protect it.

I heard someone say to me the other day that after child birth there coxic bone felt like it had been boken - for all those already mums out there - is this true???

The walking in the pool thing: my OB suggested the same thing.

In terms of the tail bone pain now......I only get it if I have been sitting in the car or on a plane or somewhere cramped, for a really long time (4 hours type of long)...sadly I don't get any other opportunities to sit on my bum for much longer than 3 minutes now I have a toddler and a wee baby!!

Wishful

It sounds like you may be feeling the effects of a hormone called relaxin.
    This hormone is usually produced in the second trimester and is responsible for loosening the joints. Your tail bone has a few joints init and is a common cause of pain. You may also be starting to feel pain in your pubic bone especially when you turn over in bed, also you may be starting to feel like your legs do not quite fit into the hip joint anymore. All this is normal.

Jacci PG

You are right about the U shape pillows you should get up and walk around, but this in not just for the pillows. All pregnant women should not sit in one position for long periods of time. Pregnant women have a greater chance of blood clots (DVT’s), walking is one of the best ways of preventing this problem.
    Also for some women, yes the tail bone can feel like it has been broken. This often depends on the size and position of the baby at birth.

Alan (Midwife)

Yep and especially after birth in that possie for so long, wether it's 4 hrs or 14hrs, it killed, so my advise is if comfy lie down.