Thread: Sterilisers and breast pumps

Default Sterilisers and breast pumps

Hi there,

Just had a question about sterilising. At my ante natal class at the hospital last week the midwives said they don't use sterilisers anymore and there is no need to use them when you take the baby home - just wash everything in v hot water. Has anybody done this previously? Any thoughts on it?

Also, re breast pumps - has anybody had any expeence wth manual v electric?

Thanks

Kitz

I've heard that also about breast pumps. Just wash them in hot soapy water and then rinse well. Barb who is the breastfeeding guru around here says the same thing.

I've never tried a electric breast pump. I used the Aventi Isis manual. It takes practice, but once you work it out I find that I get about 80mls in 20 mins. My problem was getting a let-down and for a few weeks all I managed was a few drops which really got me worried. I found expressing first thing in the morning was much better than at night.

HTH
    Spring

I also have the Avent Isis Manual and its fine for my needs, but I only really express if I feel like I'm going to explode or I'm dripping everywhere. My SIL has an expensive electric double pump which I've been told I can borrow if I need to pump more often. I didn't buy the manual one until after I'd had the baby as I didn't know if I'd need it or not - I'd suggest waiting until you know what your needs are.

I also have a stereliser, the Avent Microwave one, and I do use it for the breast pump and bottles just in case. It take a minute to chuck everything in so its not any more work for piece of mind.

Leebee: love your DS's name. My DS is Oliver Michael also

Heya,

I bought an electric breast pump after i had DD and it was because i was expressing so much due to DD being in the SCN and i would recommend waiting as well. I bought the medela swing and it is pricey but very good. I use to sterilise it in milton during the time i breast fed (sadly only till 4 months).

I had a tomee tipee microwave steam steriliser and it was great. I stopped using it when DD was 7 months and getting around on the floor. She had been using a cup to drink water from since she was 4 months and it says on the instructions not to sterilise the cup so i didnt then figured if i wasnt sterilising the cup and she is fine then surely she will be fine with not sterilising bottles. I also felt reassured that she had the medication given to bubs now with the 4 month (i think the 4 month or maybe 6 month?) vaccinations to help prevent bad gastro.
    Its really a personal thing.. i am a clean freak, very hygienic but this is what i chose as am also a believer in building up the immune system. Not sure if i would have done it when she was first born though. Perhaps since they are saying not to worry about it...i would have done it to 3 months i think due to personal choice really.
    I wash her bottles twice. When she finishes it i rinse n give it a scrub with the brush and hot running water then at night i take them apart and put them all into a bowl of hot soapy water, another scrub, rinse and air dry.
    Hope that was helpful

I sterilized my sons bottles till he was about 6 months then just washed them in hot water after that.

I hired a Madela electric breast pump from our local chemist. This may be a cheaper option for you to check it out and see if you like it. I found the electric pump great. I could just sit and watch TV and let the machine do all the work. I would recommend giving it a go. I think a lot of chemists hire them out. learning to BF can be stressfull enough when it is your first time.