Thread: Strange pain - possibly vulval varicose vein????

Default Strange pain - possibly vulval varicose vein????

Hi,

Sorry if this is TMI, but i've been having these strange pains in my vagina. It goes from being a mild throbbing pain to feeling like somebody is stabbing me there... The throbbing pain is somewhat similiar to pain i used to get on like the first day of my period.

Anyway, often there is a 'heavy' feeling there, and its often itchy (although i have eczma all over by body, and often am itchy there, so its hard to tell if this is what its from).. Also it sometiems feels like its burning there, and all i can do is hold an icepack in the area..

Seeing as i can't see past my belly now, I can't really see what going on there (been having these pains for about 2 weeks now, off and on), but have been reading about varicose veins and have a feeling it might be that? I don't seem to have any varicose veins on my legs etc..

Not sure if this is a vulval varicose vein - has anyone had it before and could help confirm it for me.. Should i wait to see my obs in 1.5 weeks, or just go to a GP? Is there anything i can do to help prevent the pain (i noticed it last when i had been sitting down at work for 5 hours), and will it go away??

Thanks

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Yael,

A good idea to ask your doctor - could there possibly be thrush with the burning and itching? You are more prone to it during pregnancy. If you go to the pharmacy, ask for some achidophillus - it's fine during pregnancy and will help your immune system even if you don't have thrush. Great preventative too.

My mum had a varicose vein too, I will ask her if she had those symptoms too.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Hey Kelly,

I've had thrush before and this feels nothing like it... so its possibly thrush but i don't think so (no discharge or smell or anything, just the itching that comes and goes and the really heavy feeling pain...

Bizarre...

My mum had varicose veins in her legs during pregnancy.. will ask her about this!

Thanks.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I vaguely remember hearing that stabbing pains in the vagina can also happen if the baby is in a position which is hitting a nerve - but you should get it checked none the less. Hope it's all sorted out soon!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Sometimes I'd get a stabbing pain that felt like it was shooting up my vagina or my bum. It could quite literally take my breath away and I freaked out a couple of customers when I'd have one when I was still working.
    It depended on how active the little ones were, but it didn't linger. My OB said it was from the baby wriggling and touching a nerve.
    Talk to your OB so they know about it, just in case.

I remember the heavy feeling with the pressure down there, but it wasnt painful for me. just on the note of 'not being able to see what is going on down there', a mirror is great! (i regularly checked it all out LOL!! - just to make sure all was OK :-s ).

maybe that would just ease your mind?

HTH

Fruitwood Guest

Hi, I had Vulva varicose veins at 15 weeks. I also have varicose veins down the inside of one leg which is slowly getting worse. I'm not sure if you've seen a bulging vein on someone's leg before. It's starts the same in the Vulva. I didn't have any pain to start with and only noticed it in the shower when washing. I felt a small lump about the size of your smallest finger nail within 2 days it was the size of a 5c piece and continued to grow until it reached the size of a 20c piece. By this time it was painful and I found it hard to sit properly and had to try different positions. Mine started just below the clitoris so was visable in the mirror and eventually burst as there was no longer enough skin for it to keep growing. My dr gave me antibiotics for the pain and said that I'd just have to be careful as there isn't much you can do to prevent it, some women are more prone to getting varicose veins than others and no matter how many precautions you take you'll still get them if your supposed to. It's more common in women with a family history which i didn't have. Your symptoms sound more like thrush as it's the actual vagina that your getting pain in. I'd go to the dr to get a diagnosis as some over the counter treatments are dangerous in pregnancy. Your dr will be able to treat it safely and reassure you that everything is alright. Hope it all works out well for you.

Sharon

Hey Sharon,

That sounds sooo painful! I had a look with a mirror, and there was this big painful lump protruding out (about the size of a 5c coin i guess)... Still having the pain (espeically when i walk around if i have been sitting down for ages... Looked up some info on the internet, they say that it is often itchy around the lump area - which might explain it, but like i said, i have eczma all over my body, and was itchy there even before i got pregnant...

My mum and my nana both had varicose veins, my mum claims not som bad (i think they look terrible), and apparently my nana's were shocking...

Anyway, off to see a dr on friday after my last exam about this, so hopefully they will let me know what i have!

I've just been taking panadol for the pain.. and i notice if i lie with a pillow under my bum it also helps take some of the pressue off the area..

Thanks for all your advice everyone!

i hope you get some good advice from the dr, good luck! let us know how you go.

Fruitwood Guest

Hi Yael,
    It sounds like you may have the same as I did. Try and get into your dr ASAP as I let mine go for a few days and when it burst it was like a huge blood stained puss and it really frightened me as I didn't know at the time what was going on. If you can get on to the antibiotics quickly you may be able to save this from happening.

I hope all goes well for you.

Sharon