Thread: Strep B

Default Strep B

Hi ladies
    I just got back from my antenatal checkup and was told that I tested positive for Strep B (GBS). My doctor didn't seem too concerned about it - he just said that I would need to be given antibiotics once I go into labour. But from what I've briefly read on the net, the antibiotics aren't a 100% guarantee that the baby will be protected. Just wondering if anyone else has this, or has experienced it?
    Thanks, Emitob.

The main risk with group B strep is passing it on to the baby which is why they give you antibiotics during labour. Generally if you've had antibiotics on board for long enough before bubs is born ie you don't have a 2 hour labour or something like that the baby will be well protected. If there is any concern about your antibiotic cover the paediatricians will usually screen +/- treat the baby to ensure the baby is ok. GBS infection in newborns can be very nasty so I would take your docs advice.

I have tested positive as a carrier for Group B Strep and I have to have IV ab's for the birth. I will also be given a prescription for ab's to take in the lead up to the birth too, to make sure that I am adequately protected from it. My Dr is unconcerned and I trust his advice - he wouldn't put the baby in danger kwim?

Im posiive too and have been told to go to hospital once my waters break as they will administer the antibiotics straight away. Depending on how Im going I may see if they can gve it to me and let me go back home for a while. Once waters are broken the infection can pass to bub. I was also told that they would teach us how to check bubs temp. every few hours for the first week in case s/he shows any sign of getting sick. My Dr was pretty unconcerned too as was the midwife - scary as it is 30% of us get it. At least they can test and treat us and bubs straight away. Good luck!

Yep, I've got it too and my OB was totally unconcerned about it!! As everyone else has said, it just means we need the antibiotics at the first signs of labour. I've heard that some places don't even test for it and just administer the antibiotics as a standard thing, so nothing to worry about. My OB also mentioned that he just wouldn't want me to have a long labour - which is fine by me (so long as it doesn't end in a c/s)!! So yeah, completely fine and VERY common.

Kelly xx

I was watching a show on Foxtel called "Birth Day" on the Discovery Health Channel and they had a whole episode on StepB. On the episode they had 2 mothers that carried the StrepB and were in labour. The doctors and nurses were not concerned about it really only administering the AB's. They did list through what can happen if the baby does contract the StrepB however I think u probably know about that from your internet research. Both babies were born perfectly healthy. They were both closely monitored in the nursery for 24 hours though just to make sure (i think they were running some bloods anyways). A midwife on the show said that with the AB's the risk to the baby is reduced extremely and it wasnt a big deal. Hope this helps. U might want to see if u can download the episode on the computer (but I never told u that )

I also want to mention that GBS is a perfectly normal organism that can live in the vagina. It causes women absolutey no problems whatsoever and the only concern with it is during labour and passing it on to the baby. Just want people to know that it's not an infection as such to the mother. Just one of the normal bugs that live in our bodies.

srv, that's exactly right, that's why you can just be a carrier of it and not have an active infection. If any one of us had tests for it later on or earlier etc, it may not have been present at all, it's just one of those things.