Thread: Stretch & sweep

kirsty Guest

Default Stretch & sweep

I have seen lots of women talking about a "stretch & sweep" being performed to try & help bring on labour.

What is a stretch & sweep, & how do they do it?

Thanx for helping out a confused pregnant lady 8-[

kirsty Guest

Thanx Jillian, that was kinda what I was thinking but you just never know.

bruky Guest

lol...I get this tomorrow if this baby doesnt eventuate today...not looking forward to it at all

kirsty Guest

oh Bruky I so hope your bubba gets the hint & makes its move soon.

I had it done too! But it didn't hurt very much at all...

I always thought stretch and sweep was stretching of the cervix and sweeping of the membranes, ie away from the cervix...

I got some blood and show after, but no pain.

*hugs*
    Cailin

angelique Guest

Gosh girls that sounds scary.

When do they perform this? Do you have to be slightly overdue or when labour is not progressing?

Good lucky Burky!!

Geez that just sounds scary!!!!

Mumof42B Guest

Hi, I have had a stretch and sweep done with all 3 pregnancies as I usually go over. My Dr does this with the threat of inducing me if it doesn't work. It has worked all three times. It is not that painfull more uncomfortable than anything. If we can give birth we can do anything...

I think my cervix was posterior during labour so although I haven't had a stretch & sweep; the painful experience of having a midwife try and pull it forward to the correct position manually with her fingers is enough to make me NOT want any intervention next pregnancy!

I had one of these during my induction. I had the gel in the morning, and I was supposed to come back at 3pm for the nest dose. They did an internal at 4pm, and I was 2cm at the internal, so she did a stretch and sweep as she was checking out how bubs was - posterior.
    It didn't hurt so much (after the first internal you get used to them.....) but immediately it increased the intensity of my back pain something shocking, I had some bleeding, and I couldn't stand straight anymore.
    I sat all the way home wiht my butt on the glovebox and my face in the headrest and laboured for a few hours until I went back to hossy to deliver.

For me it definitly progressed a labour that was already in progress - if that makes sense.... It didn't hurt that much more than normal internal, but the pain afterwards was quite intense. Maybe cause it was labour ?

babybaby Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cailin

I always thought stretch and sweep was stretching of the cervix and sweeping of the membranes, ie away from the cervix...

*hugs*
    Cailin
    that happened to me, only i had it done about 3-4 weeks ago and i havent yet given birth, although people say you can go into labour at most 2 weeks after a show.

babybaby Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cailin

*hugs*
    Cailin
    that happened to me, only i had it done about 3-4 weeks ago and i havent yet given birth, although people say you can go into labour at most 2 weeks after a show.